Thursday, May 27, 2010

IUD Gone Wrong - Surgery Time

I hate the pill because of hormonal affects. My doctor suggested an IUD, which can be easily placed, taken out, very convenient and with very few side affects. I have known plenty of people who love IUDs, but I knew that I would be the 1 in 3000 that something would go wrong so was somewhat unwilling and skeptical. He assured me not to worry about the rare rare rare side effects that he has never seen happen. I thought I would try it and if the hormones were like the pill simply take it out.

A month later, I felt the hormonal affects and hated it. Just like the pill, unneccessatily on edge since the day it was placed. Wanted to take it out, prayed and Danny and I felt, "take it out." I am so grateful for prayer! I am so grateful that Danny and I pray together and know that the Lord speaks back. It really is the most amazing blessing in this life to have. Got my appt...ran to my 850am "very simple and quick appt" with Danny and the kids. Danny was going to watch the boys before heading to work. I needed to be back by 1015 to watch my nephew, have a playdate and for Danny to get to work.

The doctor tried to take it out and literally started to sweat when he couldn't find it. That is when I knew something was wrong. He tried again to painfully search and no luck. He did an ultrasound and no find. A second doctor did an ultrasound and no find. They were going to send me downtown for a detalied ultrasound, but I asked if an X-ray could confirm if it was misplaced. We went for the x-ray and the stupid thing perforated through my uterus and is floating in my stomach or wherever it is. This isn't my x-ray but similar. Maybe a little higher on me. I asked them to email me my x-ray but they couldn't figure out how to do that.


Soo....surgery is scheduled for Tuesday sometime. I am added on the books so it will probably be late. They have to put me under a general, go in through my belly button, blow up my stomach with CO2 gas, make another incision in my stomach and try to get the stupid thing out. I should be at the hospital for about 6 hours and if all goes well make it home that day.

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......That is about what I feel like. Can you imagine if the hormones didn't affect me, didn't go in to take it out and got pregnant in about a month. I think that just might have been too much to handle. I asked them if people get pregnant in my sitation and they said, "yes but it is very rare for the thing to go through the uterus to." Well it did on me, but No, I am not pregnant. I don't get a period until I stop nursing. My hormones aren't making this situation any better.

Wish me luck in surgery.

On a high note. Have you ever heard of a roaming dermatologist? Super cool and convenient. During my appt, I asked for a dermatologist referral and my OB said he would just call the doctor up. He came up, saw a mole that was itching me and changing, sent me down to the office, removed it on my back and off to biopsy. All while waiting for the second ultrasound. I asked if he could check all my skin and at first said I needed to come back. After I got the mole removed he said he had no calls so was willing to look at my skin and I feel like I had the quickest, easiest dermatology appt and have something that has been on my mind for a couple months checked off my to do list.

11 comments:

Caddie said...

You should make them pay, without doubt!

John and SJ said...

Oh my heck! That is super nerve racking! Seriously! I hope everything goes okay.

liz said...

Un-freaking-believable. I have had friends try to tell me about that and thanks for sharing your story so I can skip that plan. That sucks Heidi! I would be raging mad.

wait...so did you get pregnant while it was misplaced?

Chelle said...

Heidi, oh my gosh that is AWFUL! I am so sorry that you have to deal with this as well. Good luck with the surgery--we'll def be thinking about you! And good job for listening to the Spirit and being quick to act.

DCRomney 2010 said...

No way, that's terrible! Aren't you breastfeeding? Or are you also one of those "rare" people that gets pregnant even while breastfeeding? Well, we'll pray that the surgery goes well!!!

Taylors said...

holy smokes! so then was it the doctors fault for misplacing it or did it just move around with how active you are? That is crazy. Sorry. Hope all goes well with surgery! :)

Unknown said...

I cannot believe that! Holy crap, of course it ends up happening to you of all people. I will be praying that everything goes alright!

Julia M. said...

UNBELIEVABLE!! I am so sorry for you! This gives me one more reason not to have one placed. That's totally crazy. Bummer deal.

Good news with the dermatologist, though. Ben had a cancer screening on his moles last week and they found two that were possible melanoma. It will be two weeks before he can get in to see a dermatologist to get them removed. So there's always a silver lining, right? :)

allison said...

That's too bad. Good thing you went in to have it removed.
so did you say you got pregnant? I got pregnant 3 x while breast feeding (but we were trying to:). Anyway, hope the surgery goes well...hang in there!

Isom Crew said...

Oh dear Heidi. I hope things go as smoothly as can be from here on out.

Trent and Kristi said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! I can't believe that!!! Do they think it was misplaced to begin with or just shifted on its own??? I was planning on getting an IUD (I've never had one) after the baby is born....but now I am having second thoughts! I hope you recover fast!! I'm so sorry!