Monday, May 24, 2010

Kid Update

Setting up the mobile and Kira looking at it as it goes by.


Scott - 4 & 4 mon, Tyler 2 & 9 mon, Kira 2 mon and is so much more alert each week. She loves looking at her mobile and looking around. She gives the sweetest smiles when she sees me when she wakes up. I love it. It warms my soul inside and out. How cliche is that, but so true. Nothing compares to see an infant recognize and know that she loves you and feels comforted and protected by you.

She is such a sweet, easy baby. With two busy boys, it is nice to have a calm baby. She loves her baby bjorn and lying on your chest. She is such a snuggler and I love it. It feels like we have had her forever. It is easy for me to adjust to her and the baby stage, but harder this time around finding the time to spend quality time with everyone. I remember when I just had Scott and how your world revolves around just one little person in the day. He got all the attention. I think for a split second if she is missing out because I can't focus on just her and than hear all Tyler's doctors and therapists words that "siblings are the best therapy." Even though I am not just sitting and talking to her all day, she is there when we are all talking as a little family. She will be fine, just like every other third child in a family is fine and will be so blessed to have two incredible older brothers. What a lucky girl to have so much love in a family!

She will sleep the entire day in a front pack if you let her. She doesn't mind her bath time or tummy time. She is able to lift her head so easily since she was born because it is such a tiny little head. Her legs are really strong and she can pretty much sustain her weight on her legs, probably because there isn't much weight to hold up. I am hoping Heavenly Father sent us a little, calm girl to balance out the energy in our family. Danny and I are always on the go so I am partly to blame with their energy level. I think Tylers rests are because of his heart not his personality. So I am enjoying her. She sleeps well at night and wakes up 2-4 time a night which isn't bad. Last night she hit a new record of sleeping from 10-4. I have never had a child sleep 6 hours this early. It was AWESOME!!

Tyler is warming up to Kira. He is my independent and social child. Scott is still enrolled in "it will be ok for 4's" brought to you by me. He is great with other people, so attentive and quiet, and can become so upset with me or at situations with me. It is either one of those wonderful stages that we all look forward to as moms and will soon pass or an adjustment to the baby. I think it is the latter and we are working on just increasing our love and special "Scott" time which has worked wonders.

I now put Tyler down for his nap earlier, around 1 instead of my worktime which is 5-7, and it is actually really nice. Tyler is happier getting a nap earlier and it is so nice having time to focus on Scott. We sing to the baby, do art or other projects or play outside. Whatever Scott wants. I am learning that when you have three kids that are still at home it is so important to find time to focus on one at a time. It is just as nice for me to have that time with them. I think this will be the key for Scott. It is amazing what love can do. It really can change behavior faster and better than anything. He calls Kira his "cutie pie" and really loves her, but he still needs his time to know he is loved just as much and we can make time for just him.

Scott is just like his dad with friends and Tyler is just like me so far. Scott loves being with one or two close friends at a time. My active little man gets shy and kind of lost in large groups or when he is with a lot of kids. I kind of hope he stays that way. I had a huge group of friends growing up and we went everywhere together and were really close. I wouldn't change it and it was a really unique and special group who are girls that I love and know will always be there for you no matter what. Danny on the other hand has a couple of guys who he was extremely loyal and close to. I think when you have a couple really good friends, even one, you always have someone to lean on, be strengthened by and stay out of trouble with. It will be interested to see if their personalities stay that way. It is so fascinating to see your kids personalities develop. It makes you realize that so much of who they are was formed before they got here.

I will give an update on me and Danny next week. There is a lot to update, it is just never as fun to write about as little ones.

2 comments:

Julia M. said...

I'm so glad Kira is making the adjustment to 3 easier for you. 6 hours in a row is the best, huh? I love hearing your updates. I'm impressed at how in tune you are to care for your children individually. They are lucky to have you as their mom!

Paris Bucklew said...

Heidi,
I always love getting McMilan updates. Wow...Kira looks so much like Tyler at that age (at least the picture of her does).

You are so sweet to offer me a nap while you take care of Ellie, but you are the one with three kids (one of them a newborn)! We are always up for a play date, but I would love to join you as well and meet Kira.