Friday, May 21, 2010

Bay Bridge Construction

It is pretty cool seeing a new bridge being built. They are making the Bay Bridge Earthquake safe. Is that possible? I am a pessimist and think that natural disasters have the power to wipe out everything if they are big enough. Anyway, little by little, you see the process of the bridge coming to be.

I remember the day of the 89 Earthquake. I remember my Grandma was shopping in the City and decided to come home early and we thought it was a miracle. I remember things falling from the shelves and running to the front door and wondering if we should go outside. Not very smart. We stayed by the door and it stopped. It was crazy and really shook. I remember not going to workout that night at Aquabears and being relieved and kind of happy to have the afternoon off.

Every time I cross the bridge I am amazed at the engineering and how people think up and execute the building of such massive things. Danny thought about being an engineer before he knew he wanted to be a dentist. He would have been good at that. I would have been horrible. My brain doesn't work that way. I am good at working with people and Danny is good at working on things. This is a picture of the construction of the new Bay Bridge from Treasure Island. There are barges everywhere with bridge supplies. I saw the process of the Benicia Bridge being built, but this is so huge in comparison.

I heard they are raising the toll from $4 to $5 and charging carpool lanes. I personally think it is ridiculous to charge a carpool lane. Doesn't govt. encourage carpools. Why strip them of the incentive and luxury of carpooling. Not happy about that because I of course always go to the City early just to make carpool. It is so enjoyable to go past all the cars, not have to pay and not wait for the metering lights. It really makes me happy. I guess I would still be kind of happy when I get to go past all the cars waiting in line.

Scott had an emergency potty stop and this is where we ended up. The picture doesn't do justice to the size of that crane. It is huge!! I still think that there is going to be a massive earthquake that will damage any bridge. I am a total pessimist when it comes to the end of the world disasters.

No comments: