Work

There was a great conference talk on Work. I can't wait to read it again. It has made me do a lot of thinking about how I use my time, how I have changed over the years and need to change.

Work has been a topic of conversation lately probably because I have been thinking about it. I continually battle about staying home and going to work and came to the realization that both are work, both are good and both can be something that I excel at and make an impact with in very different, yet very real ways.

My sister started a part time job. She loves working at a Jewish Temple and has found balance. I admire her for that. I read a friends blog about the reality of unemployment and the economy. There are thousands of people in her situation and my heart aches for them. While another friend lives to work all day, every day. Yet another friend told me about an amazing job that she hates.

For the lucky work is fulfilling and rewarding. Others hate what they do. They probably wonder if they will ever have the chance or courage to follow their dream.

For the past five years I have coached the same group of kids. I really enjoyed it. My frustrations came with parents which is so silly or coaching a very diverse group by myself most of the time. This summer I was told I would coach younger kids. At first I was sad, however, with time, it has been good. They are such a great group of kids. Coaching is easy. Catering to their personalities is harder. Everyday I try to do a little better. It is relieving and humbling when parents tell you that their child wrote a paper about you or talk about how much they miss you. It gives me peace that they realize I care about them and their happiness.

My other passion outside the home is lifting hands that hang down. It brings fulfillment and happiness to my life. I started working on a book for caregivers. I need to be more diligent with that. My new calling in church is compassionate service which I LOVE!! There couldn't be a better calling for me. I love ministering to woman. It is my second time in this calling. More about that to come.

So back to work. Danny picked up meds for sinus issues and asked the unhappy looking pharmacist if she liked her job. She said, "Does anyone like work? I wanted to be an architect if that is what you mean. Danny responded, "If it were fun they wouldn't call it work."

He didn't tell her that he does indeed LOVE his job because that wouldn't make her feel good. Danny thinks before he talks. I need to do better at that. But Danny truly loves his jobs. There are things he doesn't like including anxiety about patients well being or the business aspect of dentistry, however, loves working on teeth, being with patients and staff and being a professor. This is one of the greatest blessings in life. Someday when he is old, he envisions himself telling someone he needs to go to the bathroom and dying at work.

With that said, he often tells people that while he is a dentist his "real" work is as a dad. I love hearing that! Nothing is as important or meaningful to him as being a dad. I know that is true. He admits he couldn't be a full time dad, but cherishes the time he has with me and the kids and makes sure he makes time for us. Lately I have come home to him reading the Book of Mormon out loud with Scott to practice Scott's pronunciation. I try not to interrupt their bedtime routine and listen from another room. Danny patiently corrects Scott's speech as Scott repeats each sentence. It is cute. That is probably the most meaningful work he does all day. Laying in bed with his son showing him that Scott is important. Teaching him about Christ. Teaching him how to speak. I truly feel the most meaningful work we will do will be within the walls of our own home. How I want to improve on what and how I teach my children. That is something that you can't put a price tag on. Something that is far more valuable than any earthly possession!

When we were first married, I urged Danny to work six days as a dentist. Vacations meant no money and teaching meant little money. I was naive and didn't understand work and simply equated it with finances. It sounds so foolish, yet that is how I saw life. It makes me laugh at how silly that is. While finances are important, they are definitely not what are most important. Work makes us who we are in so many different aspects. It helps you find balance, fulfillment and success at home, in your profession, relationships, callings, hobbies and so much more. Essentially it helps prepare you to return to Heavenly Father. There is so much goodness and growth that comes from work.

I hope that I support Danny better in his work pursuits than the Heidi that he was first married to. I am grateful for his patience with me. I have found greater peace in realizing the importance of supporting him as he follows his dreams. That has given me such happiness and joy. He has a passion for teaching and endodontics. He is becoming more diligent with his time and resources and am so proud of him for that. I am grateful for the journey, mistakes and corrections we have made along the way to be at a good place in our life.

Two swimmers I coached in high school were both brilliant, outgoing, amazing girls in every regard. Girls who could have gotten in anywhere for academics and were friends with all. One wanted to be a pediatrician and the other a lawyer. They excelled in school and could have gone to excellent schools for law and medicine.

They both decided to change their career paths and become teachers.

INSPIRING!!

It gave me hope for the future teachers of America.

They chose to follow their dream and will make a huge impact in their professions. I don't think I had that much wisdom or self awareness as a young adult. I don't think I have that much wisdom now. I am so impressed with todays youth. I know that these are just two stories out of thousands of people who are pursuing their passions and making an impact because of it. I hope they inspire you to pursue your dreams as much as they inspire me.

Comments

Julia M. said…
Heidi, I, like you, work just part time, and I unabashedly love it. I don't have three kids, though, so I don't know if I could do it then. I hope so, though. I think it's important to find fulfillment where we need it, and not resent the fact that other people seem to be so happy. Work keeps me balanced and happy. Ben gets one on one time with Phineas, too. I'm so glad you and Danny both like your jobs. What a blessing!
Karen said…
Hello,
I have been (desperate mom) combing the internet for help for my 17 year old son. He has been diagnosed with retroverted acetabulum and we have been misdiagnosed/shuffled around and given conflicting avenues of treatment. One of them being a PAO. Can you advise us? He is at home in agonizing pain right now...

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons