Sunday, February 17, 2008

Family History Sunday

Church was great today and focused on family history. I love hearing about influences of ancestors. Not everyone is famous, but everyone has a lasting impact, either for good or bad, on their families. I love researching my family history. I am grateful that Danny has spent time lately scanning pictures and documents of my ancestors. I did a lot of genealogy before my mission. I wrote relatives in Germany, whom I don't even know, and they sent me a genealogical book dating back to the 1500's of the Goos, my dad's mothers' line, family. A distant relative who was a lutheran pastor researched the line. Genealogy is the #2 hobby in the world. The book has stories of ancestors, birth, death, marriage, christening dates and photos which I love. I dedicate this post to my grandfather, Walter Lietz. He immigrated before War World II with nothing and lived the American dream. He had a wonderful marriage and wife who he adored. They raised two wonderful, successful kids who were 11 months apart. He worked so hard on his nursery which was a thriving business, which allowed him to put his grandchildren through college and retire in beautiful Malibu, California. He passed away at the age of 93 after a life of fulfillment and success.

My Grandfathers Certificate of Citizenship.


My Grandfathers flower shop in New York.
My cousin couldn't pronounce Grandpa, so "Ga" he was to us. Ga with my sister, Heather.

3 comments:

Amy said...

This is so great; you're an inspiration. I keep wanting to do more of my family history, but I have this big road block at my mom; she was adopted and because she's not alive California has sealed the records and won't let them be opened without a court order. I think I might be able to get one, but I haven't really tried yet. I'd also probably have to be in Cali... Bleah. So, if you know any tricks, or know anyone in high places who could pull some strings... :)

Kerry Hoaglund said...

I love looking at old paperwork and pictures! How exciting for you! Isn't it amazing how history shapes our lives today?!

Jen J said...

good job, heidi! remember when we went to the family history library in salt lake and had no idea what we were doing? you've come a long way!