Sunday, August 5, 2012

The First Week of School

These two boys successfully completed the first week of school.  Phew!

Scott has the kindest teacher who is known for fun, creative projects including a play.  None of his besties are in his class but plenty of good friends.  His teacher said Scott is the leader of the class, so kind to others, such a good listener and she is so happy he is in her class.  Scott is a good kid.   I wish he listened to me like his teachers.  I am sure I am not as consistent and patient as his teacher.  I am grateful he enjoys school.  Today in primary, they asked who was excited to go to school tomorrow and Scott and one other person raised hands.  Scott was a minimalist in reading last year so we shall see if a year of maturity gives him the patience to work on things that are hard for him.  He was so well liked last year but was a tid-bit emotional if kids weren't kind or made a poor decision.  He would be much better off if he was able to brush things off and move on.  So we shall see how that goes.  I am really going to work on getting into routines with Scott.  I think eating healthy and on-time, having down time and going to bed on time will really help Scott. He is going to do do soccer and swimming in the fall.  So we will come home, relax, get homework done, have 1 activity and go to sleep.  I think having sports or an activity helps me have a routine.
Tylers first week went better than expected.  You might think having a kid in kindergarten last year makes this second nature but my two boys can't be any more different.  Kids come with there personalities and Scott got Danny's and Tyler got mine with some kick.

His first day went well.  I was expecting some tears when I left, but he walked right in and sat down.  I could tell he was a little nervous.  Day 2 was early day and he had a meltdown.  Tyler said he got upset in a game and was embarrassed to hold his teachers hand.  When he sat by himself he calmed down.  I was proud and surprised Tyler verbalized his feelings.  Just wish he could have done that better in class.  Hopefully next time.   I am going to try to get him to bed earlier so we don't have to wake him up for early day. Sooo grateful he isn't early everyday!  Day 3 went great emotionally, however, I got a phone call that he had an accident which really surprised me.  I woke up Kira and got to school.  He was waiting in the nurses office with the saddest look on his face.  I quickly changed him and he said he tried to get into the bathroom twice but it was always locked and he couldn't hold it anymore.  I explained he needed to find another bathroom when that happens or wait for it to be unlocked because of his meds.

Before school started I explained to his teacher he was on lasix and aldactone (two diuretics) and will be going pee a lot but didn't even think to tell him what to do when the bathroom was locked.  That is something you just don't need to worry about with another kid. Learning moment for me.  I felt bad but graeteful I can give him diuretics right after school so it isn't an issue. He was surprisingly resilient.  He went back to class, some friends greeted him and he was happy again.   Grateful things don't bother Tyler.  Scott is another story.  Scott takes a day to get over things and Tyler takes a couple of minutes....again, Danny and me. Other than that the day went well for him emotionally which was a bigger concern. We can figure out meds, but emotions are much harder.  Friday went well. He seems to enjoy it after he gets over being a little nervous.  He said they took out the fun toys on Friday which made his day.  His teacher is awesome.  Very patient and very good with the kids.  Parents tell me she is really good with boys.

So other than the one meltdown, the week was a success!

We shall see how next week goes.  Hoping Tyler continues to be more comfortable and able to verbalize his emotions to his teacher. It is the best schedule for Tyler and my family.  All the pre-k's start early which is hard.  He is tired and sleeps in.  930-130 gives me some quality time with him after Scott goes to school and doesn't make us rushed or force me to wake him up in the morning.  Wednesday is the only day that starts at  which is rought.  On top of being the perfect start time, I pick up the boys within a half hour of each other which works out great. Kira has been able to nap earlier after I drop of Tyler.  It makes her happier and ready for bed at a decent hour. The convenience and schedule couldn't be better so here's to a successful week 2.

Last year I wasn't able to help with Scott's class because life was crazy.  I was in survival all year with Danny's hip surgery, Tyler's many attempts at surgery and finally his surgeries, our condo flood, the baby and my mom going through chemo and radiation.  I am grateful life has calmed down a little bit so that I can volunteer in the classroom and get a schedule established. 

4 comments:

cici said...

I just know week 2 will bring more smiles. I can tell Scott is determined and tries to be a perfectionist, when things don't go as he planned he gets frustrated and holds on to it trying to figure out how to make things better.(a thinker) A very good quality to have.
I think when Tyler gets frustrated he might get angry with himself and it comes out in other ways,as he does not know what to do with all the emotion.
Isn't it amazing how how siblings can be so different?
Maybe a change of clothes kept in the office would prevent you from having to come if/when it happens again. Poor guy, why do they lock the bathrooms? :( arrrgh!
Nerves, being a little scared and accidents at School are so common, even though most Parents don't talk about it. I sure hope the Teachers don't make a big deal out of it or he ever gets teased.
I am so proud of him for doing so well his first week.
Kira's face melts my heart as does little Blake. I would have a very hard time saying no, they are all just the sweetest.
I will say a Prayer that week 2 makes you a very happy Mom.
You deserve it!

Katherine Lewis said...

I think you're a really good Mom. Reading this makes me just want to sit and talk to you for a long time! You are so wise. I miss you!

Noslo De Raj said...

Great post Heidi! I'm glad the first week of school was a success. That's so great that Scott is so well-liked. I hope my kids will be like that too. It makes a mom's heart happy to see other kids love to be around your kids. Poor Tyler and the bathroom incident. I'm sure it's harder for a boy than a girl to have an accident like that. We are so excited to see you guys next week and your new place!

Laurel said...

glad to hear things went better than expected. I still can't believe you have 2 kids in school now, and then 2 more at home! When did that all happen?! we need to get together!