Coaching

This was the first summer I didn't coach since my mission.  It came with mixed emotions. LOVED spending all the time I wanted with my kids and not have a baby in a bjorn all day.  I played at the pool with Tyler and Kira. I got in shape. I was able to be mom which I loved.  I took a needed break from coaching to recognize how much I love it and am ready to go back to it very part time.

Brentwood is a soccer/baseball culture instead of a swimming culture.   I helped a little bit for my parent hours which was fun to be with the kids and took a back seat the rest of the time. 

I am going to help coach (almost volunteer) the fall clinic 2 days a week.  

How I learned to coach is very different than the way the team is coached.  One isn't better than the other, just different.  That makes me excited because blending the best of everyone's background equals success. The team has 300+ swimmers so there is potential for the team to be really good. A lot of families were talking about going to a smaller team that does more stroke work, but I think this team can and will succeed at that. It is a relatively new team and just needs some more time to find that balance.  I am not a big believer of the grass is greener syndrome.  If your kid fits in socially and is uplifted the other stuff can come together.

I grew up and coached for a team that really believed in kids having fun while learning to swim correctly.  It fit my personality perfectly to succeed.  It produced and continues to produce some of the best swimmers in the nation.  I feel I have been blessed with some great mentors who taught me a ton and taught me to coach.  

I'll let you know how coaching in B-Wood goes.

Comments

cici said…
It is so great to have a passion that you are so good at. Sometimes Moms can tend to lose themselves and not rwalize it until the kids run off to College.
Good luck on your new endeavor and keep us little folk posted ;)
Janine said…
We loved finally being able to read your blog and see some pics! We finally got the internet tonight and we finally feel CONNECTED!! Pretty fun that you will be coaching--you'll be a great asset I'm sure. Love you guys!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons