IUD SURGERY


They found my IUD in the posterior cul-de-sac which is an open cavity on the posterior side of the uterus; in the picture is the bottom portion between the uterus and rectum. Luckily nothing shows signs of perforation. I got there at 915AM, they admitted me into pre-op around 10 and I went into surgery about 1245PM. There were a lot of morning emergencies. I was hoping they could give me a sedative, but it is too painful and laborious to breathe with the CO2 gas pumped into your stomach. Fentanyl was give and I remember being in the OR for about 2 minutes before falling asleep. I woke up fairly easily. They needed to remind me to take breathes which wasn't too difficult and I was happy everything went well and my reproductive system looks intact. My throat hurts to talk from intubatation and I am pretty soar in my stomach. I get necks and shoulder pains from the CO2 gas. The surgery took about 1.5 hours and I was picked up at 4:30pm by my sister. Thanks so much to everyone who offered to help!! I couldn't have done it without Peggy who took Kira and my dad who took the boys!! I am sure I will be relying on many friends in the next couple of days to get through this. Can't lift much and hoping to feel better in a couple of days. Birthing is an easier recovery for me than this IUD surgery. I am grateful for the surgeons and staff that was so kind to me. Here are some pictures that they took during the diagnostic part of the surgery...

I still can't believe how easy it is to do surgeries laparoscopically. It blows my that they can make two tiny incisions to diagnose and take out organs and other materials. Without medical advancements they would have cut me and now I miraculously have two little incision scars. It is amazing!! The same is true with caths for Tyler. They can do small procedures or diagnoses on Tyler through his groin instead of opening up his heart and it just amazes me.

On another note, when my nurse asked about my religious affiliation, I told her LDS and she talked to me for about an hour about religion. It was strange how many similarities we had. Her mom was catholic, dad lutheran, we went to St. Matthews growing up and she just went to a Mormon Singles Dance. Her family are all different religions and we talked a lot about faith. It was a nice distraction. She was so nice!! She was really impressed with her family members that are mormon and what the church has done for them. It made me reflect on how grateful I am for my ward family and faith. One thing she mentioned was how at the dance everyone was asking what ward she was in and she felt a little like an outsider. I can see how she felt that. I know it isn't the intention of anyone, but it is hard when it seems like everyone knows each other.
IUD in posterior cul-de-sac

liver and gall bladdernormal appendix
left ovary
Right Ovary
Uterus
IUD out


Comments

I didn't realize the IUD was so big.. yikes. Thank you for validating to me NEVER to get something implanted like that. :) I am so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad you caught it.

I guess there is a upside to infertility... when you don't want to get pregnant (like now), you don't have to do anything to prevent it! :)
Aubrey said…
I hope you better back to feeling normal quick. I am sorry the IUD was such a pain for you. XOXOXOXO
Jacquie said…
So happy that this "Thing" is out of you but those pics are a little gross...Great to see you up and around so quickly! I was told today that our family needs to write a journal of all our crazy medical issues and we might win a prize!
Angie said…
Glad it went well! I am having laparoscopic surgery in a few weeks...not looking forward to the recovery! Take care of yourself!
Mardee Rae said…
wow. I have been so happy about the IUD but I'm suddenly really paranoid that it's in my body. I love that you posted those pictures--it takes a really scientifically comfortable woman to post pics of her own ovaries :) But I appreciated them, as I am totally curious about that stuff. I really hope that you are feeling well and I'm glad to hear that people are taking good care of you. So sorry that this happened!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for your great information. We all appreciate your
information.Keep posting these kind of nice blogs.
Dental Implants Brentwood

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons