Hours Later


Tyler was doing great. Danny and I went to visit with my mom and sister after work. They said his heart meds were down which means his heart was doing most of the work. Everyone was so impressed with how strong his heart was and how well he was doing. I stayed with him and everyone went to eat and he flat lined around 7pm. It was really scary to see the baby have no pulse and no blood pressure. Chaos broke out in the ICU yelling for surgeons and meds that I didn't even know what were for. It was so scary and I felt so helpless to see my child go into cardiac arrest and be able to do nothing for him. I got Danny and we just stood there realizing it probably wasn't good for us to go through this, so we left to wait in the waiting room. For the first time, I thought what would I do if he flat lined when I was home....I don't know if I can do this. Danny and I didn't know if Tyler was going to make it and this might be it. We wanted more than anything for him to just be comfortable and whatever was meant to be would come to pass. We knew he was in the Lord's hand and would fulfill his mortal mission, whatever that might be. A case manager came and talked to us that they were working on putting him on a heart/lung machine. We knew that wasn't good since they told us before the surgery they have about a 90% chance of survival if the baby is able to pump on his own and about 50% chance if they are put on life support. Doctors came out a couple hours later. They said they have no idea why this happened. It could be the result of so many things including infection, medication, hormone level. The heart is so sick and fragile after surgery and at 1 week old that anything can trigger it and they would examine everything through the night to try to find the cause so it doesn't happen again. When a child loses life they are concerned about the organ functions (brain, liver, kidneys) which they will be watching. They said the good thing is that his chest was open so CPR was started right away by being able to directly press or hold the heart and he responded very fast to that. They don't know what damage it might have done to other organs, but hopeful it was minimal. The heart lung machine is never good for the body system. It allows his heart to have a rest which it needs right now, but is also harder to wean these children. However, they think that Tyler's heart is strong enough that hopefully in 1-2 days they will be able to wean him from it. The recovery of these children is often more difficult than the surgery. Their little bodies go through so much and he just has such a sick heart right now. Last night was a tough night, but we know that things will work out how they are meant to work out. He was too small of a guy to close his chest cavity up which turned out to be such a blessing so they could preform CPR directly on the heart last night. Although it was so hard to see him go through this and we were pretty rattled, we are at peace this morning. We are grateful for an eternal perspective, each other and our family and friends' constant support. We take things minute by minute, day by day. Today is a new day which we are grateful for. Thank you, everyone, for your love and support. As my coach from BYU said, we are remembering that the details are in the Lord's hands. How grateful we are for the peace to know that he will be ok no matter what. We love you all. We will keep you updated.

Comments

chickadee3357 said…
I want you to know that we are praying for Tyler and your family.
Kelli & Steve
Hillary said…
Your strenghth is amazing. You are a true mother in Zion. You are in my prayers. Not only does Tyler have mission to fulfill, but yours is a continuing one as well. Thank you for your example of strength and faith.
Hillary (Miles) Beamish
Ashley said…
I am utterly amazed at your strength and faith during this time of not knowing. We are still praying for little Tyler for him to be comforted by angels and protected. We love you guys, hang in there! Love Ashley and family
susan said…
Our love & prayers go out to all of your family right now...Mommy, Daddy, Brother, grandparents, everyone. This kind of thing is emotionally and physically hard on everyone.

You are truly blessed with spiritual strength and I see it is carrying you through minute by minute, day by day. And it will keep you strong. I feel inspired by your words and demonstration of strength. You are helping Tyler right now fulfill his mission by how you share his life. We can imagine what your day was like in the ICU, but can't begin to understand what all this feels like. We hope you continue to be comforted by our Lord and all the many people who love you. Stay strong Tyler!
Love-John & Susan (sharapata) Biery
Frightening isn't an adequate word to describe what you went through last night. You must have felt so utterly helpless even though you have felt the Lord's strength carry you through so much. You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly and pray that you can find more strength to carry you through this so so so difficult time. We love you all so much. Love, Mom and Dad McMillan
jennyward said…
Sending prayers your way, Heidi
-Jenny Ward
Diffenderfer said…
You are all in our prayers. We are so amazed and uplifted by your strength through faith and we know you feel surrounded by so many who love and care for you. We pray for Tyler's strength and recovery and anticipate your updates. We hope you feel our arms around you in prayer and support.

Marcie and Bill Diffender and family
Lindsey Anne said…
I am amazed at your ability to deal with a trial like this. I can feel of your faith through your words; they are truly inspiring. Thank you for your examples. My prayers are with all of you! With love, Lindsey
dayna said…
You guys are amazing. It is good to see a picture of the little guy we are praying for. I put his (and your) name the prayer roll at the temple, as I am sure many others have done. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Please do let me know if I can do anything to help. Stay strong.
Love, Dayna
Em said…
Oh my...This is the frist news I have heard..and My heart just sank..I am amazed and in utter awwe at the faith and strength of your words...Little Tyler is soooo beautiful...No doubt will you all be in our prayers...and mom too.
all my Huggs to you Emily.
Heather said…
I'm so proud of you both. You are such an inspiration to so many people with your strength and faith. Every person that reads this blog has told me how amazing you both are and I couldn't agree more. Words can't even express how proud I am to have such wonderful role models in my life.
I hope everything goes good today. I'll be thinking and praying for Tyler. I love you all so much and am so grateful to be blessed with such an amazing family.

Love, Heather
We wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you guys and hope all is, and continues to be, well.

- the Austin Kellings
Jacquie said…
Heidi and Danny,
Your faith has been so strong and has helped me these last few days tremendously to take one moment at a time. Being with you at the hospital during Tyler's crisis and watching you silently pray brought me peace. Thank you so very much for being my support team to help me gain strength and faith as I face further medical testing.
I love you so very, very much!!!Love, Mom
Heather O. said…
We are praying for you guys and for little Tyler. Thank you so much for the updates.
With Love,
Heather, Beau & Luke

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons