Fontan

Tyler presented to the OR at seven this morning.  They gave him some oral versed and then Heidi and I took a stroll through golden gate park.  The team had anticipated a 4-6 hour surgery.  At 3:00 Heidi and I started getting nervous.  They said they would call to update us on the surgery, but no.  finally, we saw Tyler's bed rolling down the hall.

Tony came to talk to us and began speaking to me in Spanish.  Then, he told us that the surgery went well and said, "He went under great.  Then there was a problem.  When I opened the sternum, his heart was fused to the bone.  So I started to dissect it and it started to bleed.  I put him on bypass and had to cannulate him through his neck....His valve regurgitation was on the lower end of mild, and I thought that was really good, considering that several months ago he had moderate... His heart function looked good.  The Fontan pressures were about eight when he first came off, now they're about thirteen (anything below 15 is good).  His rhythm was normal sinus for I'd say 95% of the time.  And then  he started waking up, he developed a junctional rhythm, I don't think that's terribly unusual, the fact that he had sinus rhythm is a good sign...The valve is better than it was several months ago...we put in a 20 mm gore tex tube...his pulmonary arteries look pretty good...short of the adherence of the heart to the back of the sternum,"

Heidi:  Is that common?

Tony:  You know, the number of times I've had to cannulate a neck, because the heart was stuck to the sternum (pause),

Danny:  You can count on one hand?

Tony:  Yeah, yeah.

Heidi:  So why did that happen?

Tony:  It's just the previous operations, and the conduit, and the scarring, it's just, the heart, it was fused to the bone.  And I didn't peel the heart off the bone, what I had to do is take a chunk of bone off the chest wall...One of the worries is when you're dissecting the heart off the sternum, and  you get into it, is that air can enter and...be ejected into the brain...but we controlled it, dissected everything, put him on bypass...supported his circulation, and everything was under perfect control, dissected everything out, fixed the hole, did the Fontan, took him off, close this, close that.  He's extubated.

Tony, Heidi and I went in to see Tyler and he was agitated.  I knew he was doing well when he started trying to rip off his nasal cannula.  The nurses were worried, though.  They kept wanting to give him drugs and I was like, "He wants a drink.  Give the man some water."  The nurses didn't want to, though.  Then Jeff came in and said, "Better the water than Versed and Fentanyl."

I agreed with that.  After one of the nurses left, Jeff said, "Let's lower his prn infusions."

That's all I feel like posting for now.  They aren't totally stoked about how stable he is, but I think he is stable because he's complaining, just like before.  He's like, "Mommy!  GET ME A DRINK RIGHT NOW!"  Eh, anyway.

Thanks for the texts and stuff.  I don't feel like entertaining any phone conversations right now, though.

Comments

Wodzisz Family said…
Many prayers for your family. I will be praying for an easy recovery.
Julia M. said…
This kind of makes me want to cry. Especially the picture. I am praying for all of you!
GO TYLER!!! You know when they are complaining.. it's a good sign!! :) Ha. Prayers for a smooth recovery with little bumps in the road. Keep us posted!
Nate and Janie said…
Danny and Heidi- you are amazing people! As I've read thru your blog I can't help but have admiration of you and your beautiful family. You have such a clear picture of the Gospel and all it offers. Thank you for your wonderful examples. Tyler is in my thoughts and prayers as are you both. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Allison said…
I just saw that Tyler had his Fontan. What a long and tough day for you all. I have never heard of the heart being fused to the sternal bones...wow. It sounds like your surgeon was very capable and handled everything well. We will add Tyler and your whole family to our prayers for Tyler to have his pain well managed and for the three of you to get some good sleep tonight. Hang in there!
Chelle said…
Oh my goodness. Keep the posts coming so we can know how he is doing! THat pic of him really hurts my heart...all those tubes. Poor little thing. But hopefully the fact that he is complaining really is a good sign :)
Robin said…
Oh boy.... he is amazing! Just like your whole family! prayers for everyone, and know you can always depend on us for ANYTHING!
Love you!
Jacquie said…
Heidi and Danny,
As I'm lying next to Kira, I have tears streaming down my face...it must just be my emotions catching up with me at the end of the day but Dad & I are so relieved that the surgery has been completed...I know Prayers are so important and I've asked everyone I see to please say a little prayer for Tyler. We love you so much! Love, Mom&Dad
Amy W said…
This is an amazing journey. I like the sounds of his surgeon. We are praying for you all. Sending big hugs!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons