Ice chips and hot chocolate

Tyler has been fussy for the past five hours.  All he wanted was water.  The nurses didn't want to give him any fluids because it would stress his heart.   The nurses and doctors listened to him moan--he'd plead with them, saying, "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease, can I have some wa wa?"

I put in my ear plugs, and when I had had enough, I approached the nurse and doctor and said, "He's stressed because he's thirsty.  You gotta intervene."

They were also concerned at Tyler's rising lactate levels, a sign of stress.  Sometimes, the lactate is high because of increased blood glucose and administering some insulin can lower it.  However, sometimes the lactate is high because the heart is under duress, in which case insulin would be ineffective and they'd have to intubate him.

I said, "I know what the books say.  What does your gut say?"  Tyler cried for ice chips and hot chocolate for several hours.  Finally, one of the physicians said, "Give him some ice chips."  Immediately, he calmed down and fell asleep.  He sleeps for like one minute, then wakes up and asks for more ice chips.  He's been sleeping for the past two or three minutes, so we might go to the cafe and get some din-din.

Oh, he just woke up.

Comments

D-dawg said…
I'm glad he finally got some ice chips- way to be persistent! We're praying for him at our house.

-Dave
cici said…
Good job Dad. Noone knows him like you guys do. I hope he gets Popsicles tomorrow.
I hope you all get some sleep tonight after the tense, rough day.
I will Pray for sleep and your sweet boy. Tomorrow just has to be better!
Heather said…
Sending positive thoughts your way right now. Hopefully tomorrow things improve and Tyler can have something to drink. Can't wait to give the little guy a hug!

-Jason
The Cannons said…
Keep us posted. I'm going to say a prayer for Tyler right now (and for all of you too:-)
Heather said…
Earlier post was from Uncle Jay...

I can't imagine the emotions you both must be feeling as parents seeing Tyler like this. Thank God he has you as his advocates. Praying for some peace and healing for him tonight. Love you all! I am planning on heading into UCSF in the morning, so hopefully I can give you a little relief in case you need to sleep or just have a little time. Whatever you need, I'm here for you.
On a sidenote...Kira had fun playing with Roman and Paisley today. We had a great time at Skippolini's with Scott tonight. All is good with them.
Love,
H
Autumn said…
Thinking of you and your sweet little guy.

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons