More Detailed Birth Story


Sorry for the long, detailed blogging. This has become my journal as well for this little one and our life. I decided that I am done with baby books. I did one for Scott and Tyler for the first year and quite frankly the blog is way more deatailed and true to real life. Plus, I just have better ways to spend my time and don't love scrapbooking like I used to. It is liberating to be at a point in your life to do what fulfills you and not do the rest. Unless of course you have to.


So I started having pretty regular contractions about 3 minutes apart at 12AM. This had been happening to me in the past but I actually felt a desire to have a baby this time. I called, they checked me and kept me because it was my fourth baby and I had fast labors. If it was my first I am sure they would have sent me home and I would have had the baby in 1-2 weeks. I took an antiobiotic for Group B which took four hours, got some rest and they decided to break my water at 8AM. It was nice getting some sleep. The water broke, but it took some walking around at 9ish to actually start feeling like I was loosing the water. The contractions started and I debated if I should get an epidural or not.


My experiences with epidurals: Scott came so fast and I was a little far from the hospital that it wasn't worth it. Tyler was so sick so it wasn't worth the risks. I got one with Carl that didn't work on my stomach, totally numbed my legs and made my back sore for days. This baby I had no feelings one way or the other except for my fears of being paralized and probably wimping out and getting one. The doctor and nurses were totally respectful of what I wanted to do. My contractions were totally bareable because I didn't go from a 1-10 in an hour. It is a way different story having more time. The contractions still hurt but are not as intense. After talking to the doctors about all the people or stories I heard about bad epidurals they ensured my things usually go fine. So I overcame my fears and went for it.


I have always told others to get epidurals when they ask and explained I just didn't have the guts to do it. Now I can say from my experience that I LOVED my epidural. The labor was totally enjoyable and pain-free, I had total control while pushing and I enjoyed my little one without being tired. It was so wonderful!!! No back pain. I was numb but not horribly numb that I couldn't feel my legs. I am glad I conquered my fears.


I felt the urge to push around 12:30. My cervix wasn't totally dialated so I did mini pushes to help me dialate. It worked and I started pushing at 1:25 and had the baby in about 3 contractions and 5 pushes. Noboby said if it was a boy or girl because nobody looked. Danny finally saw it was a girl when I was holding her. Danny did great!! He is such an amazing husband and daddy. We had fun, enjoyed the experience and LOVED our nurse, Jodi, and doctor. They were AWESOME. I am actually going to get together with my nurse who has a 10 month old and 6 year old. She was like an immediate friend.


It was wonderful holding her. Danny and I were set on the name Daxon for a boy which will have to wait if we ever have another boy. Our girl name was Brynn, but I was never set on it. When we saw her she didn't look like Brynn and Danny said, "I think she is a Kira." Loved it and it fit her perfectly.


Danny was really anxious about her health and his first reaction to her was wondering if she needed an echo and why she was so blue. It makes you realize how your past can affect your future.


Our baby Kira. I spent the day calling her a him by habit. She was so angelic and perfect. I just wanted to go home, but was too scared to override the hospitals suggestions of staying for about a day. It is the smart thing to do. Everything looked great. She had a heart murmur that was probably just the PDA not closed and it was gone the following day. It never worried me. You realize that murmurs can be fixed so easily. The one thing that isn't right is that she spits up and chokes for no apparant reason. They said that is normal the first couple of days. It isn't gettting much better. I will give it a couple more days and start investigating. Sometimes kids have acid reflux or underdeveloped areas that cause all the milk to come up. She is perfect!! We love her so much!!


It has been great being home. I love that the boys have each other to play with when I am taking care of Kira. She is just so easy to care for and I feel great. It is so nice not being pregnant. This pregnancy really kicked my butt. One of my goals is to get in shape. I really want to do the SF marathon in July but will see if that is enough time. I am determined to take care of my body and need a goal to work towards. What better thing that do something to honor Tyler, UCSF and heart kids. I will keep you updated. Loving life! Love having a little girl even though it still worries me a little bit. I am so used to boys and our lives are so boy oriented, but we will figure it out. I feel so blessed!! The Lord has sent me four perfect children whom I love dearly and an amazing husband who I get to share the journey with.

Comments

I'm so happy that things went smoothly. Epidurals are a dream!!! Kamryn choked and puked until she was one, but gained weight so I didn't worry about it. Hopefully Kira will get over it soon. :)

Good luck with getting in shape! You look absolutely great for just giving birth!!
Maggie World said…
Congratulations to the whole family!
Autumn said…
Heidi I loved my epidural! I can't imagine not getting one. I totally enjoyed my labor after I got one and was grateful I wasn't in so much pain. Thanks goodness for medical advances!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons