Thursday, October 31, 2013

Heidi's Back

Its been a long time blogger.  Thanks to my dear husband, we still have some memories of what is going on. Here is an update on life...

Scott.  Scott is such a good boy.  He is a great leader, listener and just such a good son and brother.  He continues to be my emotional boy so I need to remember to be sensitive to his needs.  I pick them up on their bikes and everyone says hi to him; on the street, in their cars, wherever.  I don't know how he knows so many people. I am trying to teach him that he needs to respond.  He just did soccer, which he enjoyed.  He likes being with his friends.  His team this year won 1 game.  They had a lot of kids who were not athletic.  In the past he would have been frustrated of their losses, but while he wanted to win, it didn't bother him.  He simply knew that they weren't that good.   He had fun and always had a smile of his face.  He is also swimming which he enjoys and he can't wait for baseball to start up.

Tyler.  For a while Tyler was coughing to breathe better, and just seemed tired, but lately he has been doing better.  I wonder if it is the change in seasons or if his heart function was down.  These periods seem to come and go.  I don't worry about them, because I don't think it would do much good, but maybe I should worry more.  His cardiologist is retiring at the end of the year, which is so sad.  We love him dearly and will miss his expertise, calmness and heart full of love.  He has his yearly physical tomorrow and cardio appt in December. Praying everything looks good.  His nurse asked how school was going and said he was doing great.  She said he shouldn't do PE and I told her about how he did the first week but came home not loving it so now he just walks.  She said sometimes kids prefer to go inside and do computers or such and I said he is always given that opportunity but just likes to watch.  I am grateful that he is comfortable with who he is and knows his limits.  Such a blessing.  He is doing well at reading, gets math and memorizes really easily.  He is also enjoying learning the piano which is fun.  We always envisioned Tyler having a harder time in school because of his rough start in life and oxygenation issues, but he is doing great.  Most importantly happy he is happy.  He seems to have an easier time making friends and his friends like him, so that is nice to see.

Kira.  Kira loves being with her friends.  She talks about what she learned, tells people about her school and asks when she is going to see her friends at school.  It is very cute and very different than the boys.  Scott didn't mind it, Tyler was not stoked ever to be dropped off, but did ok when he was there, but Kira looks forward to it. Kira continues to make everyone smile.  She is friends with everyone and everyone seems to like her or at least laugh at the crazy, full of energy, outgoing little girl that she is.  She is one of a kind.  She is miss athletic and we find herself climbing, jumping and rolling from place to place.

Blake.  18 months.  He is the Scott look a like.  He loves to hang out with Danny in the garage.  He is pretty calm, but entering the stage that he knows what he wants and will let you know.  When he hears motorcycles on the road, he makes engine noises which always makes me smile.  He is pretty self sufficient and for the most part takes care of himself.  Lately he has been trying to take of his diaper and sit on the toilet, which I don't have the time or energy for.  I think I potty trained Scott around this age, but I don't think I could do that with him because I have other kids...this summer sounds good.  He and Kira have become good little buddies since the boys are at school.  He just loves his siblings.  Scott is so good with him.  He doesn't talk much but understands everything you say which is nice.

Danny.  Danny struggles with daily back pain, which is probably the hardest trial we have ever gone through.  It is so hard seeing him in pain.  It affects everything.   I just pray that one day he will get some relief.  His work is going well.  We are so grateful that he has a job that he enjoys and that he is so good at.  He has made so many friends in the community through work which is great to see.  He loves his projects.  He is always either fixing his motorcycle, car or something mechanical.  He seems to get things given to him to fix up which he enjoys.  It is his outlet which is so nice.

My Mom.  What a journey these past couple of months have been.  I am grateful for this time we have had with my mom.  It has been really special to everyone.  My mom has been doing ok, but is starting to complain more and more of pain.  It is hard to see her not be able to do what she wants to do. More than anything she wants to be able to play with the kids, enjoy life, and treasure the time she has but her body limits her.  She still has control of one hand so can feed herself and do small things with her hand, but it is tiring.  She remains optimistic amidst her pain and her struggles.  I can't imagine what she must be feeling and going through at times.  I try to just listen and encourage her and let her know that she is loved.  The peace that she once felt seems more distant now which is kind of sad to see. How grateful I am to know that there is a better world to come, free from the pain and illnesses of this world.  I wish that she had that knowledge and peace of that hope.  That is perhaps the hardest part of this journey for me.  So we just try to fill her day with love and be there for her and help her feel our love.  How grateful I am for my family.  You realize at the end of life that relationships are significant and everything else is insignificant.  She led such a wonderful life full of family and friends which is so wonderful to see bless her life now.

Heidi.  My thyroid has been out of wack again.  It has such a huge affect on your health.  It is crazy.  For the first time since after my mission I have to watch what I eat.  My hair is a straw mess again and I can easily sleep for 12 hours a night.  I should probably go get it tested and medicated.

I talked on loving the Lord with all your heart, might, mind and strength.  I like posting my talks so that I have them for future reference, but every time I sat down to write my talk, ideas came, but nothing came on the paper.  I had an impression that I should just organize my thoughts and be led by the spirit.  I woke up that morning, hoping to organize my ideas, but had a hard time doing it probably because I wanted more than a general out;line.  Finally, a couple minutes before leaving, when I had no time left, I wrote down a simple outline. I am never nervous before speaking, but was slightly nervous before church.  It is so easy when you have everything you are going to say in front of you.  But I knew that everything would go alright and it did.  A couple of people have sent me nice little cards saying how the talk helped them so of course the Lord knew what people needed to hear better than I knew.  It was definitely inspired and I am grateful for the opportunity I had to be led by God and grow.The gist of the talk ended up being how we can love the Lord our God amidst hard times, why trials come into our lives and the importance of loving him 100%.

I have been busy writing a book which is kind of like a bible study.  I really feel it is has been inspired and what I need to do now.  I have no idea why, but excited to see what the Lord has in store.  So just plugging along.  Trying to work on my patience and not dwell on the insignificant things in life that sometimes get me frustrated or frazzled.

4 comments:

Chelle said...

Glad you're back Heidi! I'm so sorry about your thyroid. We just had a dental hygiene 10 yr reunion and one of the girls was talking about her thyroid problems. You don't realize how many things it affects until you deal with it, I guess. I'm sure it'd be worth getting things checked out and getting on some meds.

cici said...

Missed you!
Danny did a great job of entertaining us during your absence.
Thyroids get so out of whack during and after Pregnancies and then there is that wicked Postpartum depression that creeps in along with being the sandwich generation of caring for a parent and little ones at he same time.
I am so proud of Tyler doing so well at School and knowing his own limits. It's extra hard when there are no visible signs for anyone to see. He looks amazing. I love that tough little Scott is sensitive and Kira lets her little crazy personality shine for all. Blakey is melting my heart with his love of cars and motocrycles and helping Dad in the garage and sharing food with Grandma in her bed. A very well rounded lad indeed.
Thanks for sharing about your sweet family.
I will Pray for your thyroid to behave and for Danny and your Mom to be Pain free.

Adam and Lisa said...

Heidi, loved the update. We've been praying for you guys a lot lately and hope all is well for you. Love ya.

Adam and Lisa said...

Heidi, loved the update. We've been praying for you guys a lot lately and hope all is well for you. Love ya.