Tyler's Surgery

Tyler is an absolute miracle.  His heart is an absolute miracle.  Modern Medicine is an absolute miracle.  

That pretty much sums up my feelings after our visit to UCSF on Tuesday.  Tyler has undergone 3 open heart surgeries and multiple caths to turn his blue lips, toes, and fingers PINK!  They are pink and he has energy.

We were first case on Tuesday which usually means getting rushed into surgery which we love.  I forgot Tuesday is their late day due to correlation.  So we hung out and played X-Box.  Tyler showed so much maturity getting his IV.  He gave them his hand and told us he would cry when they put it in.  He cried for a moment and was fine.  Went into surgery around 10PM.  

If I had an Iphone I would have video taped him on Verced.  That is always the best part.  He becomes this super duper happy, loopy child.  I said goodbye, went to get a little gift for him and out to lunch with my sister.  

They called around 1 to tell us he was out of surgery, did great, they closed his Fontan fenestration (a whole they place in their heart to reduce the pressure on the heart caused by the new ciculation).  They also opened a narrowing he has had in his left pulmonary artery with a stent.  This was the area where a tube was placed during the norwood.  It made a huge difference and the stent really opened up his artery.  I will post pictures when I get a chance.

When I saw him he was pink.  It was amazing.  I never really notice how blue tyler is because I am used to it.  I notice in pictures, but I have never seen his cheeks rosy.  It was amazing.  It is amazing that my son can have this minor procedure that they thread a cath up his leg to fix his heart and go home that night.  It makes me so grateful for all that dedicate their lives to medicine.  Without them, my son wouldn't be alive.  

I asked his surgeon and he said if he was doing well at around 9-10pm and the x-ray looked good we could go home.  Everything looked great and we headed home.  WAHOO!!  I am sure his neighbor was grateful since the 5:30am-10PM was making Tyler CRANKY!!

So we went home, hung out with Grandma and Pop the next day and are chillin this week.

It has been 9 months of trying to get the Fontan completed.  In and out of the hospital multiple times.  I have waited for his heart to be fixed to start Tyler in pre-school, so next week he will being school twice a week which will start a new beginning for him.  

We are so proud of our little man.  

Comments

Janelle said…
Fantastic news. I am so happy for you all.
DavidandJuliann said…
We are so grateful he is doing so well. He has been in our prayers. We love you guys!
cici said…
God bless him.
Chelle said…
He really IS a miracle!! And yes, what a wonderful thing modern medicine is. Soooo glad he is PINK and you guys are home!
Heather said…
Such a miracle and so amazing. Felt so honored to be there with you to witness it all. God has been so good to us.
JT said…
WOW! Heidi, your family and your story are an inspiration to so many. I have a friend and friend of a friend with kids with heart problems and you have had such faith and strength despite everything you've encountered. You and your family deserve all of the happiness in the world. I am so excited for you guys!
Laurel said…
hip hip hooray!!!
Amy W said…
He is a miracle. So happy for you and excited to hear about how he likes preschool!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons