The Toy Skeleton


So in kindergarten they have coloring up/coloring down.  When the kids do something well they get to color up or make an unwise choice they get to color down.  If you color up 3 times you get to choose a prize and if you color down 2 times you get a time out.  Scott usually likes to tell me how he colored up and earned his prize, but Thursday was different.  Scott told me that night that he skipped a color when coloring up so he could get his skeleton.  I was sad he chose poorly and at the same time even more proud that he decided to tell me and make things right.

So we discussed that I was proud of him for telling me, that we all make mistakes and the main thing is that we learn from them and make them right.  The whole process of repentance and forgiveness is what we are all here for, right?  I said he should probably tell his teacher what he did and give back the skeleton since he really didn't earn it.  He was so scared and sad and disappointed in himself.  

He always wants to be his best self and is hard on himself when he makes mistakes.  He never needs to be told to go into a timeout just goes himself.  So he wrote the teacher and a note and wanted to say, "I am sorry.  Hate Scott."  He thought his teacher was going to hate him.  Oh that just broke my heart. I told him she would be so proud that he recognized his mistake and wanted to change it.

Time for a prayer as to what to do and how to teach.  We turned on Lds.org and listened to some great talks on forgiveness.  Stories of mistakes that prophets and others made and how they received forgiveness and moved on.  I LOVED them.  Hopefully Scott got something out of it as well. We went to school.  Scott was so nervous.  He handed over the toy said sorry and I explained what happened.  His teacher was so grateful and proud of him and Scott really earned the toy back by the end of the day.  We talked about the difference he felt of really earning it and not really earning it.

I fully recognize that parenting gets harder with age.  I am enjoying all my time with the innocence of my children and praying I make it through the teenage years when the decisions and mistakes become a little more serious and harder than coloring up one too many spaces.  

I was talking to a friend about a talk about parents being at the crossroads.  This is the blessing of being able to be at the crossroads.  Your children are able to talk and hopefully gain loving guidance to help them through this life that will make them happier more Christlike individuals.  What a blessing we had this opportunity to learn.

I am grateful for repentance in my life.  I am grateful for the gospel and prayer that teaches us right from wrong.  I am grateful that Scott has the most loving, wise and nurturing kindergarten teachers.  I am grateful for my kids and the opportunity to learn and grow as a parent and come to know our Savior and Heavenly Father better.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's a tough line not making a child an anxiety ridden mess. Every time he sees a skeleton he will flip out now! hahaha
Anonymous, he surprisingly loves his skeleton and understands more fully that we all make mistakes which I think is important. That way we are less judgmental in life and more willing to help. It was a positive teaching experience.
Anonymous said…
Disapproval and objecting to the behavior is always good, but turning him into his Teacher to be humiliated and embarassed is really attacking his self esteem.
I would be afraid he would never trust to tell you something again..... Just a different point of view from someone that remembers those early School year traumas. :(
Jacki said…
Heidi - you are such a good example. I really like how you guided him through the whole process and showed how much you trusted him. I've never thought to show my kids talks on topics they are struggling with.

Sounds like his teaching was very loving and supportive and not humiliating at all :)
Jacki said…
teacher, I mean. not teaching.
D-dawg said…
It doesn't sound like you forced him or "turned him in" to his teacher. It sounds like you talked to him, taught him, and helped him make the decision to talk to her himself! I think you did the right thing and turned the situation in to a great learning experience! It is always the best when they can learn these things early on. I would have done the exact same thing. Way to go!!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons