Another Swim Season

Scott is a 9-10 this season which means he is swimming 50's.  I can't believe he is so old.  It seems like just the other day we were at Valley Vista when he was 5 and learning how to swim.  We had time trials last week and Scott did great.  He is having a lot of fun.  He has matured so much with finding a balance of having fun and being competitive. 

Tyler is not swimming this year because he gets too tired swimming more than a lap at a time.  I told him he could just tell his coach and just swim for a couple of minutes like he did last year if he wanted.  I was his coach last year so it was easy for me to tell him to get out or him to tell me when he was done but he doesn't want to do that.  I thought that maybe he would swim 7-8's since it is still 25's and stop when he was a 9-10 but even that is too much swimming.  I am so grateful he learned how to swim all the strokes last year, made great friends and even made it to County but realize that competitive swimming is not for him with his heart and grateful that he is happy hanging out at the gym, playing with friends and playing dodge ball when they have it instead of swimming.  I used to worry about what it would be like for him to not participate in certain sports but now realize it just kind of takes care of itself.  When heart kids don't feel good doing something, they obviously don't want to do it.  So grateful he gets to live a very normal life and doesn't yearn to do things that his body can't do.

As for Kira.  She is one tough little girl to parent. She has an iron will and will not give in.  She did great the first week of mini practices, it got cold and she was miserable.  I told her coach that if she got cold she could get out but they would keep her in until she was beyond done.  We moved up to an earlier time which is warmer and a smaller group and she is enjoying it.  She was signed in for time trials.  Jumped in, did great for about 1/4 lap and then started crying and wanted to get out because when she stopped people started passing her.  As my sister put it, "she is my mini-me."  What 5 year old in her first meet is even aware of winning or loosing?  Ha! Wish me luck with her, I will need it.

We went to an invitational yesterday which was a lot of fun.  Only about 10 kids went from our team which was so fun for our kids.  Our little kids ran around playing tag most of the day and entertained each other.  Summer and Eva entertained the little girls and the boys played legos and magna tiles the entire time.  Plus, Danny had off for the 3 day weekend which was AWESOME!!  I can't remember the last meet he was able to come to a meet.  When we got to the meet and saw that it was a huge meet, he wasn't happy, but at the end of the meet explained how much fun he had.  I don't know if he has ever been to a big invitational so that was so nice.  It is surprising how you can actually have fun just sitting around waiting for a 30 minute swim.  Scott did great.  He swam 100 free, which rec never does and did great.  He is actually looking pretty good in his fly and made County in his back by over a second.  Most importantly, he felt good about himself after each swim. He got 2nd in all his races which was awesome.  He really wanted a little bracelet they give the heat winners and almost won the back but ultimately didn't seem to care and just felt good about swimming his best.  It is fun to see him mature.  





Comments

Kira totally sounds like wee little Heidi :) I may have my own mini-me in the works. Good Luck!
Kira totally sounds like wee little Heidi :) I may have my own mini-me in the works. Good Luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons