Postponed Biopsy

I went in for my biopsy today and they were unable to do it.  The doctor was concerned that my inflamatory processes were too high.  She explained this might be a result of my pregnancy with Blake, infection, hot nodule or disease.  They want to make sure that it wasn't a hot nodule that elevated the esr.  She doesn't want to biopsy until she repeats labs in a couple of weeks. She is hoping to see a decrease in my sedimentation rate during my next round of labs.  My hormone level is really low, pretty much non-existent but t-3 and t-4 levels are normal which she said might be a result of the cyst interfering with my thyroid function.

She said my cyst is very large and pushing on my wind pipe and eventually lead to more symptoms.  She was surprised I didn't experience signs of having trouble breathing.  It hurts my ear right now and I can feel where it is pressing but not painful or troublesome to breathe.  She showed it to me on the ultrasound and it is a lot bigger than I thought.   It is a complex cyst, meaning it has solid masses, which she said isn't as good as just being fluid filled.  She said that if it comes back cancerous they will remove both sides of the thyroid to make sure that the diseased side didn't affect the side that appears healthy.  If the biopsy comes back normal, they can try to drain the cyst and hope it remains small. If that doesn't work they can try radiation or removal.  If they remove the one side they actually biopsy it while I am under to see if the other side needs to be removed.

I left feeling informed and educated.  I might not have all this right, but I think I understood.

Not worried about it and so grateful it is in my thryoid and not lymph node.  Hoping the elevated esr is due to a hot nodule or past illness or pre-pregnancy but we shall see.  So that's all for now.  A lot to be grateful for.

Comments

liz said…
holy smokes you guys are a walking medical family! Congratulations on being pregnant! And I am so sorry to hear of your cycst- so scary. I love you positive attitude and the comfort learning more about the situation offers you. You are so strong and bright- hope it's the easier path and not cancer!!!! :/liz
Chelle said…
I don't know how you manage to stay so calm and positive Heidi. I'd be freaking out. We will hope, hope it is not cancer and that the removal can take place smoothly if that's what needs to happen. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Adam and Lisa said…
Oh Heidi, good luck with all of this! We love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons