Radio call-in on Mormon missions



Ok, we listen to AM radio.  Every time I listen to talk radio, I am reminded that I am old.  
Anyway, today while we were driving to Walnut Creek there was a lady on the radio that couldn't stop talking about the Romney boys serving Mormon missions instead of serving in the military and if they loved their country they would have served in the military.  Apparently, Ann Romney had been talking about the positive impact her sons' missions had had on their lives.
While no service can be compared to serving in the armed forces, I do feel that anytime we serve, whether serving for the liberty of our country, serving in our professions, humanitarian service, volunteering or serving in our church, we are bettering society and bettering ourselves.  This is a commendable and good thing.  The talk radio hostess was so bold as to state that the only reason mormons serve missions is to grow their church and thus have more money for their church.
That got me.  I thought about the thousands of people serving humanitarian missions.  My sister-in-law being one.  You can disagree with church's trying to proselyte about Christ.  I get that.  That didn't bother me, but what did bother me was her false information.  So I called her and stated while there are a lot of proselyting missionaries, there are many missionaries serving humanitarian missions for our church.  She said there weren't this type of missionary in the Mormon church and there were just proselyting missionaries.  I said I personally know people who were called on humanitarian missions to which she said, "oh you are cutting out, I can't hear you," and hung up the phone on me. I wasn't cutting out but she didn't want to be called out that she didn't do her homework.  
Needless to say, the church is often first to aid in natural disasters.  They help all people and nations regardless of religion because that is emulating Christ.  In 2008, LDS Humanitarian Services provided aid to 3.3 million people in 122 countries.  From 1985 - 2009, $327.6 million in cash and $884.6 million in commodities of aid was given throughout 178 countries.  
I think it is important to recognize the good and get the facts.  So what did I learn?  Do your homework.

Comments

Unknown said…
Go Heidi! That's awesome that you called in.
DavidandJuliann said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons