Pain in the Neck

I got sick right before going on vacation and of course was sensitive to my aches and pains and noticed a lump in my neck from about a month ago that was still there.  Told Danny, who was upset and told me if I were his patient he would send me off to the Doctors right away. I was going on my trip and promised I would go to the doctors upon arrival home.

Luckily sickness passed within a couple of days.  I was slightly concerned I am so tired and get sick more than I used to.

Went to doctor, who I love, on Friday and ended up spending three hours at the doctors, getting annoying moles removed, tb test, labs and antibiotics there with 4 children.  Luckily I rock at doctors visits with kids and barely survived.  She thought the lump was probably a swollen lymph node, which didn't explain why it wasn't going away and I was so tired all the time, put me on antiobiotics and set up a follow up appt.

Labs came back normal for infection.  The abnormals were non-existent tsh yet normal t4 levels.   Elevated platelets and elevated sedimentation rate.  Didn't seem like an infection and symptoms of being overly tired didn't line up with hyperthyroid. I emailed and asked for an image since I didn't like the abnormal platelet count and esr.  They did a CT Scan today and showed I have a cyst on my thyroid. Super grateful it is my thyroid and not lymph node.

They will biopsy it this week and go from there.  Super grateful for modern medicine.  It is simply incredible what they can do and how easily things can be detected.  Grateful Danny and I have learned to listen to our intuition.  Hoping biopsy comes back normal, but if not, grateful that it is very treatable.  Hoping this will cure my excessive tiredness!  I am glad I am not much of a worrier.

Danny got a surgery date today to cut a nerve that is causing him horrible nerve pain.  He wanted to amputate his leg at Disneyland and was miserable at Katie's wedding so I am praying that surgery gives him some relief.  That could be the best news of the year for us.  Have so much empathy for people with chronic pain.  It is a joy killer, yet Danny has lived so graciously with pain.

Comments

Autumn said…
Heidi, I've had a cyst (nodule, growth, whatever you want to call it) on my thyroid for over 2 years now. Had a biopsy done and it is benign (95% are). I will probably have mine taken out after I have the baby in Feb. The surgery is same day, pretty quick and easy. Actually tons of people have these on their thyroids so I wouldn't worry too much. Mine has continually grown or else the doctor would just leave it in. My tsh is also low with t4 just fine. Hope all goes well with your biopsy.
Autumn (Dan Iverson's wife)
Chelle said…
Thanks for the update! I've been thinking about you all weekend, and praying for you too. I'm so sorry you've felt so yucky and tired lately! Hopefully, like Autumn said, it will be something benign. And I'm so sorry that Danny has been in such pain! Ugh, it really does make life miserable. Almost unbearable. We'll keep you guys in our prayers. Love ya!
Jacquie said…
Heidi,
I got Thyroid cysts at least 7 years ago and got sent to an endocrinologist by my primary doctor. I had an MRI or CAT Scan. The Dr. Sent me to John Muir Hospital to have the biopsy done and I drove myself home after the procedure. It was benign and I did not have to have any more tests. I have been taking Thyroid meds ever since the biopsy. I am saying my prayers that your cyst will also be benign.
DavidandJuliann said…
I hope all goes well. We sure admire you and Danny. Thanks for your great examples.
Adam and Lisa said…
Glad to get the update. Yes isn't modern medicine amazing!? Hope everything works out ok for you! Oh my goodness. We love you!
Jon Smith said…
You've sure been busy lately...looks like you had a great trip spending time with family!
We'll definitely add you to our prayers Heidi. Hope everything turns out fine. sending our love:)
Jon Smith said…
oops...that was from Allison Smith...but I'm sure Jon feels the same way:)

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons