Things of the Spirit

I am in a non-denominational bible study which I LOVE. Christians of all different faiths come together to learn and talk of Christ. I learn so much from the woman. We are studying Isaiah and the latter-days. That is what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is all about. The fulfillment of the restoration in the latter-days that it talks about in Isaiah. The temples, priesthood, missionary work. It is all being fulfilled. One of the questions from Ephesians was to interpret the scripture, "and he gave some apostles, and some prophets and some evangetists and some pastors and teachers: for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ."

I believe in a prophet and apostles and ranks of the priesthood. How else would the church be directed by God? It has always been that way when his church has been on earth. We talked about scriptures that talked about going to the mountain of the Lords house in the Latter-days to be instructed. Everyone interpreted the mountain of the Lords house as the temple, yet everyone thought the temple isn't really the temple, which is why Isaiah is so confusing. If temples were needed in ancient times why not now? It is so amazing how much the spirit can teach and I am so grateful for my testimony and prayer to understand Isaiah. I am so grateful for the study.

So anyway, twice a year we get to hear and learn from our prophet via satellite on TV and it is my very favorite, spiritually uplifting weekend. I learn so much. I strive to be a better person, more full of love and charity. I am so grateful I know that there is a prophet on the earth again.

The week before conference President Monson and the leaders of the womans organization talk to the woman. It was such a great meeting!! My very favorite talk was one on charity. It was sooo good!! Here is my favorite part.

"I consider charity—or “the pure love of Christ”—to be the opposite of criticism and judging...

I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.

There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere.

Needed is the charity which refuses to find satisfaction in hearing or in repeating the reports of misfortunes that come to others, unless by so doing, the unfortunate one may be benefited. The American educator and politician Horace Mann once said, “To pity distress is but human; to relieve it is godlike.”11

Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others."

How great is that? I have been thinking about this in my life a lot lately. I have gotten to know two incredible woman who are both struggling with very unique challenges and my heart goes out to them. I feel like God placed us in each others paths so that we could grow in friendship, love and charity and so I could learn some incredible lessons from them. They are dealing with challenges I can't fathom. Challenges that society often judges. I haven't been able to take their trials from them, but I have been able to serve them and by so doing have grown to love and understand how much Christ loves them. I know that they deserve the best life possible and will help them get there in small and simple ways.

My life is busy, yet, as I have found time to serve, the Lord has blessed my life immensely. I have somehow been more productive, gotten everything done I needed to, been filled with more love, patience and the Spirit. Service is amazing!! It truly is the best way to draw closer to the Savior.

Comments

melita said…
I love you, Heidi. You are truly a good example to me. Thank you for sharing your testimony and thoughts.
Laura said…
WOW!!! All the blog posts!!! Your truly are amazing and a CONSTANT example to me!! Not just once or twice or once or twice a month or once or twice a week, but EVERYDAY!! I don't even need to see you and I either read this or think of you are something that you have done that has taught me something. Has helped me to better and be a better person!!! YoU aRe WoNdErFuL!!! Thank you. Thanks for your testimony, so fun to see all that you do! And you probably think I am a "nap" natzi but it accually stems from how important it was for Kennedy to sleep and how she was when she didnt' get it! So now I am trying to be more flexible becasue my other kids don't need it as much as she did, but that is hard for me to learn!! Good luck! What a wonderful mother you are!
Jenny said…
You are such a good example of all of those things!! I actually thought of you when I was listening to that talk.

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons