My Week

Do you ever feel like you are barely surviving? That has been my whole week. We spent the day at the doctors on Saturday like many of you know. Tylers sats were in the 70's which basically means he is not doing well. I felt like crying. Tyler went home on augmentin due to staff & ear infection and pneumonia. Well, two days later he was like this...
and looked like this...

Any guesses? He is allergic to penicillin. They didn't want to give him another antibiotic since administering one after an allergy sometimes results in a second allergy, however, his ear infection was still pretty bad and needed treatment. So he is now on xithromax and hopefully will start feeling better soon. Mommy and Daddy are feeling tired. At times like this we wish we still had great nurses to help with the nights. Actually, we are more grateful Tyler is home. Tyler is 1 tomorrow and I am thinking of his first surgery and hundreds of people who helped and loved him and us. Eric was one of the them. A really special nurse. I love this picture.
If that wasn't enough, Scott feels like this...
which breaks my heart. He started pre-school today and had such a hard time. He had a hard time sharing, hard time being away from me, and I just felt so bad for him. This year has been so hard on him with so much instability and I just don't know what is best for him right now. I am sure some of the behavior would be present regardless, but he has been through so much this year. I thought pre-school twice a week would be good for him to become a better sharer, have something special that was his and overcome some of his separation anxiety, but who knows. I am going to call Judith, our WONDERFUL social worker at UCSF and get some suggestions. I feel blessed to have such great resources. People who know what Scott has gone through and how to help them in situations like this.
Well, there has been good that has come out of this. We were touched by a great doctor. Dr. Bergen was so willing to help. I knew Tyler was in good hands. He called to check up on us and was willing to fit us in several times to check up on our little mans progress. I realized the importance of being compassionate to others while they are having hard times. Especially with little kids. Everyone is just trying there best. Some kids are tougher than others. Scott used to be the easiest child and this past year has been tough. I appreciate those who try to understand and help. I strive to be a little more like them each day. There were some moms who made a little extra effort today to show me they cared, they understood, that it would be alright. I appreciate that. I want to be more like that. It made my week a little bit easier.

Comments

Heather said…
Oh Man...Heidi what a week! Please let me know if there is anything any of us can do to help out. You know that all you have to do is ask.

I pray that Tyler begins to feel better, especially today on his birthday. He is so brave and such a trooper. I love you guys. Hang in there.
You've had a LONG week and it's weeks like those that make us stronger women!! I hope Tyler feels better! Scott will adjust to preschool... it takes time. I'm so weak though, I would have picked him up and said lets not go back! :) Good Luck and you I can't believe Tyler is almost ONE!!

Andrea
Unknown said…
Heidi I am so sorry to see Tyler in bad shape. Josh is in the middle of an awful cold & horrible cough, so I can only imagine how tough its been for you.
I really debated about sending my girls to preschool too. I decided not too, but now like you, I am questioning whether I made the right choice. It is hard to know what is best at times. We all want what is best.
I hope things start settling down a bit for you.
Happy Birthday Tyler...what a year!
By the way..Eric is the best isn't he?!
Heather O. said…
I am so sorry that Tyler is not doing well... You guys are so strong. I am happy to help with Scott (which I know is tough right now because of the separation thing) or anything else. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
The MacMizzles said…
Heidi, my heart hurts for you right now. I am so sorry. It is tough, the surprises. But you should know what an impact you have made on our lives. Your blog, honest, and so inspiring, again, I will just wrap my arms around you and tell you how much we think of you, and send all our positive energy.
But, your kids have proven to be fighters! And you have too.
Julia M. said…
Heidi, I'm so sorry! Not a fun way to celebrate Tyler's first birthday. I hope that everything gets better, and we will be praying for your family.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Tyler!!! We Love you and hope you feel better. You are in our prayers and thoughts!! Danny and Heidi we admire and love you so much. Please know you are in our prayers.

David and Juliann
liz said…
happy birthday little buddy. i hope you feel better ASAP!
ChrisnDave said…
Wish we weren't on the other side of the continent so we could help out!!! But I know you all will pull through, just like you have every time this past year!
Aw Tyler, I was going to guess he was allergic to the medicine. That same thing happened to Kai. Poor boy. Hope everything is better now.

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons