Friday, September 19, 2008

Psalms of Ascent

So I am doing a bible study with one of my friends at Walnut Creek Presbyerian. It is on Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore, a Christian based bible study for women. We get together once a week for about two hours, divide into tables and discuss our feelings on chosen psalms. We come together from all different churches, backgrounds, each on our spiritual journey, striving to grow closer to the Lord. This week one of the psalms is 122.

"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord. Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is builded as a city that is compact together."

I love how I get to reflect on passages from the bible. This psalm gave me time to reflect on how I treasure the temple. It is sacred to me. It is a time I can leave the world behind and remember the covenants I have with the Lord, why we are here and where we are going. This is a picture of the Bountiful Temple, where Danny and I were sealed. What a special day! I can't believe it was almost 4 years ago. We have been through so much toghether, grown, had good times and bad, days of kindness and days that we should have done differently. One thing I am grateful for is that we have the common goal to become a little bit better, grow a little closer to the Lord. The lesson had us reflect on our church community, our 'city that is compact together'. It was one of those times of reflection that I felt overwhelmingly blessed. In the LDS church, we refer to others as 'brother' and 'sister' for we truly feel we are all brothers and sisters, children to a loving Heavenly Father. I feel I could call anyone in our ward to help, comfort, uplift, listen and guide me and my family. Our ward truly shows my family the love of Christ. I think that is something that first intrigued my about the church. My friends in high school that were mormon were kind, faithful, Christlike. I admired that. The trials this year have been lighter because of my ward family. Although the workbook discussed specifically your own congregation, I reflected on all those who are of other denominations and faiths who I consider to be my 'brothers' and 'sisters' as well. Those who have prayed for Tyler, helped lift me to be a better person, teach me through example and wisdom how to be a better mom, friend and wife. To my friends, thank you!! I have much to be grateful for. I couldn't have a greater Church community.

2 comments:

Julia M. said...

What a beautiful picture of the two of you. I'm so glad that you go to bible studies with people of other faith--that's a wonderful way to feel closer to people in your community. You are an amazing woman, Heidi!

carolyn q said...

Wow, what a great missionary tool and I am sure it just helps strengthen your testimony.
It's been a while since I last checked in, but please know I do think about you.
Heart Hugs,
Carolyn