Book Review

I just read The Kite Runner and loved it. It is the story of Amir, a boy from Kabal, who is haunted by the guilt of betraying his childhood friend Hassan, the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of the monarchy in Afghanistan through the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the rise of the Taliban regime (thanks wikipedia). I gained a greater appreciation and love for America, our liberty and opportunities. The book helped me strive to be a little kinder, a little more patient and a lot more accepting. We never know someone elses circumstance, background or desires.

One of my favorite quotes from the book which becomes an underlying theme. "When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness."

Comments

DCRomney said…
Ooooo, yeah, I read that right when it first came out - definitely a great story but sort of disturbing too! The movie is interesting as well. And fun because I grew up in Fremont!
I always love a NEW book recommendation. I can't wait to pick this one up and read. I am quitting work soon and will need something to do to fill my time while Owen naps.

Thanks!
Andrea
Paris Bucklew said…
I loved that book as well. Glad it taught you such a great lesson, although I don't think it's possible you could be any kinder. I've never tested your level of patience, but maybe I should try :)
Heather O. said…
I agree. That is an excellent book. I cried a lot!
Dan-o said…
I listened to the book on tape earlier this summer. It was quite good. Very haunting about how he betrayed his friend. I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite book. Mine is the Count of Monte Cristo!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons