Schooling

I was at the dollar store yesterday getting paint for my kids since I have no idea which box my paint is in.  There was a lady in front of me with a 2nd grader.  He was sweet and asked what the plastic eggs were for.  It was kind, respectful, not how my kids would probably ask.  She was beyond frazzled.  Expired. Done. Mumbling to herself. Frazzled. I get it. I have been there.  6 McMillans in the dollar store can easily get me to state of mom frazzle. 

She continued to kindly, in her mom frazzled state explain to her son that she was done.  She had just finished doing his school with him.  It did her in.  She couldn't answer one more question he had for her. He just needed to stop asking any questions. Stop talking. Just leave her in peace.  He looked bewildered and confused. 

I wish I could have helped.  I wish I could have talked to her and told her it was going to be alright or tomorrow instead of doing whatever was creating this state, to just play some games with her son, play scattegories for his spelling, go on a bike ride of his P.E. and just enjoy this time she might never have again with her son.  It is easier said than done.  I get it.  My kids all have their unique challenges with schooling.  I have absolutely no judgement of this mom, who I am certain was doing her best. I have no idea what her day looked like or her challenges may be.  I have no idea what her talents and comfort level of teaching are. 

With that said, I have pondered a lot about what families have been thrown into.  I feel like our society in some ways has gotten so stuck in herding mentality.  This is how school looks like and that is the right way to do it.  So much of the creativity and reasons behind learning are lost.  I feel like I continue to learn that.

  Two things that friends have said these past two years resonated with me.  One was when we at Yosemite with Shawna.  Our kids were climbing on some pretty large boulders.  I don't usually get nervous, but I really hoped they didn't fall.  Shawna said this uses the same part of the brain that common core math is trying to teach them just in real life.  She is a therapist and knows where more about brain development than I will ever know.  I realized that math isn't about knowing what 1+1 is but about having the brain figure out things.  In this case, the brain figure out what is safe and what isn't.  What the best boulder to climb on next to get to the desired destination safely.  Using your brain to logically solve problems.  My brain started to look at education a different way. 

The second comment came when we were talking to friends about our kids reading.  I used to think that kids should read books that are their level.  The reality is kids are comfortable reading books lower than their level or reading books they really like.  My kids are pretty high level readers but Scott is really the only one who enjoys or is comfortable reading at his level.  I realized it is better for my child to love reading.  Love what reading can give to them that is far better than the vocabulary lesson they might be gaining with a higher level.  Kira got the Ramona book series from Heidi about 2 weeks ago.  It was probably about 10 books and she got up every morning and spent 30 minutes each morning wanting to read.  She went to her room to read.  Now she is reading Harry Potter, by choice because she loves it.  Same with math.  Blake was getting frustrated with math, so we went back a couple lessons.  Kira wasn't liking math so we found a different program.  There are so many amazing programs out there at our disposal.  Especially with the shelter in place.  So many companies and people are offering great programs for minimal cost of free. They are exciting, fun, interesting ways to learn. 

My boys had two weeks off for Spring break and then a week for their teachers to get their curriculum set and last week was their first week back at school.  I told them we would see how it goes and then either homeschool if it was a lot of busy work or adapt to our families needs.  I am excited for these next couple of months of learning.

I feel like we are getting into a good routine.  In the morning we get up and do Come Follow Me or Listen to a conference talk.  For writing, they write in their journal.  I think those two skills or reading scriptures, starting with prayer and getting in the habit of journaling could be the greatest thing they learn at this time.

For social studies we are doing Story of the World.  I love it.  They all seem to enjoy it.  They have fun activities that we sometimes do and sometimes don't.  I am hoping to do at least 1 fun activity a week or give them the option of doing them.  They have great cooking lessons or building lessons that revolve around the lesson.  It is learning they all love.  Yesterday we learned about England, King Richard, George, Nottingham and Robin Hood.  Stuff I was interested in.  Love Story of the World.

We are starting a science curriculum on the human body that I am excited about.  I have an interactive notebook I bought off TPT and going to combine that with G&B.  I hope it will be engaging and fun and something that gives them a love for science and the human body.

A couple months ago I switched to Beast Academy and I think I am going to buy the pre-algebra for Tyler and Geometry for Scott.  They aren't doing much with math right now and I think it would help both of them to do math for 15 minutes a day.  Still undecided on the older boys, but I think that is the plan.  Love Beast Academy for my younger kids.

Going to use Good and Beautiful for ELA for Blake and Kira.  My boys need grammar help so they will probably do that with us.

We got a vocabulary workbook I really like.  We go over the words together as a family and it is usually pretty fun. 

We need to get in a better habit with piano. Scott does pretty good but everyone else has gotten lazy.  With Danny home we just need to get back into the routine of piano. 

Last, I want Scott and Tyler to do Spanish 1.  It would be pointless for them to take Spanish 1 in school since they comprehend but need the foundations.  I found a program that I think I am going to use.  It is not a huge company or school but seems good.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but think I will buy it today.

I don't know how long the shelter in place will last but I told them that even if it goes through the summer, we will be using some of our day to learn and grow as a family. 

They get to do electronics after 4:30.  Electronics has to be all in or all out for me.  I am not good at saying no or monitoring all of them so if they know that their other stuff needs to be done before electronics and they can't go on before 4:30 it makes it easier for all of us.  It seems to be working well. 

If we move, we have a lot of projects that we are going to do.  We need to put up a pool fence, want to do solar heating for the pool, garden beds, maybe make a table for outside.  Things Danny will be great at if he isn't working yet. 

So that is the plan and I feel so grateful for this time.  So far it is going well.  Blake it is the most challenging but he is always the most challenging.  His anxiety turns into an inability to do anything.  His brain get worked up that he can't do simple tasks.  I debate medicating him.  He is doing so much better but I wonder if he would do better and be happier with medication. We shall see.  I know there are pluses and minuses and just want him to have the best life that he can have. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons