Financial Decisions During Shelter in Place

We have completed 3 weeks of shelter in place.  Maybe 4.  I can't even remember at this point. It is all a big blur.  The first week or two was stressful with Danny being out of work and the implications of that but now that has just become a reality and I am at peace.  I think we are both at peace financially because it won't have a lasting effect on us and we own our businesses.  Even though we have more expenses like paying rent, etc. we have job security. There are so many pros and cons of being small business owners and this is one of the pros.  I don't know how many dentists will be able to keep their associates after this. I would hope most but there is security in knowing you have a business to go back to once things open up again.  I am grateful that we live the way we do so that we will be able to pay our bills and we are prepared. I know a lot of people aren't as fortunate and that makes me sad.  Really sad and concerned. I find myself praying often and have such a heightened desire to support small business.

It has been a good opportunity for our kids to realize that if you listen to the prophet, save and live within your means, times like this can be weathered without extreme financial anxiety. It has been good for them to realize that when you are out of work, you cut back on expenses.  We don't go out ot eat, we make simple meals, we make limited purchases.  Really only things we need.  Did we have to change our lifestyle?  Probably not, however, that would be negligent and against the principles we believe in.  It would be a huge missed opportunity for our kids.  So the couple times they complain that they can't get something, we look at it is a huge blessing and teaching opportunity.  I am certain they will go through financially hard times as a young adult or adult and I hope this will help them realize you just "hunker down" as we are calling it and make it through with peace and faith.  I feel like this is simple a sign of the time and every generation is going to continue to deal with things like this more and more.  It will become reality.

 So overall, it will be a good life lesson for our family.  I am grateful for a prophet who gave us council to live within our means and have at least 6 months of reserve.  It gave me increased peace that as we listen  and follow him, things will be better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons