Ski Days

Blake and Kira got ski passes to Sierra at Tahoe.  Shawna takes them on Fridays.  Blake really likes it and Kira kind of likes it.  I think she would be happier going on intermediate lifts but everyone wants to go on Diamonds so it is hard for her to progress and really enjoy it when she is a little out of her comfort zone. 

This Friday, a mom organized a homeschool ski day.  I didn't think I was going to go because it is really hard with Parker and Hanna.  I was really hoping Parker would learn last week but he was so stubborn and just wanted to fly down the mountain fast and not learn.  When he fell, he would yell at me of why I made him fall.  It was exhausting. 

I decided to go last minute since I had so many amazing friends, some skiing and some not that said they would help with Hanna. 

I was on a lift last time with a ski instructor and she said that with some kids you tell them they can do whatever they want for 1/2 the run and then they have to do what you want for 1/2.  All Parker wanted to do was go down the huge terrain park.  Someone showed us a little kid terrain park and it was perfect for Parker.  An answer to prayer.  I took him down the 2 small jumps and he went flying with me and then he had to do the rest of the run himself and learned.  By lunch he was skiing independently and by the end of the day he was turning, stopping, and was doing great.

Shawna and Greg took hanna skiing until lunch and then she hung out with Bonnie and her kids after lunch.  She had a great time.  I feel bad asking people for help, but am always so blessed when friends are willing to help claiming that they are so happy to ski or hang out with her.  These are moments I really miss my parents.  They would have loved to ski with my kids.  Loved to hang out with them.  When those moments come, I recognize that the Lord has placed amazing friends in my life to parent alongside me. 

Heidi came with us.  It made the car ride so much better!  So grateful for friends.  I got my social time in.  I asked Danny this morning if he ever wanted to ski with us and he said not really.  He said it isn't fun to not be able to do what he could once do.  Heidi was saying how fun it would be to go with adults and I told her I don't think it would be that fun for me because I would want to do things that I would be too afraid to do now or definitely hurt myself doing.  Now my joy is seeing my kids or other kids learn a new skill and gain confidence. 

Highlight of the day, besides Parker being willing to listen, was seeing Laurel and Jim.  We probably skied 20 years ago together.  Last time we went together we were going off jumps and I went first and skidded to a stop seeing my life flash before my eyes.  Laurel was going to go until she heard my alarmed, death scream not to go.  She said she knew I was serious with that.  It turned out it was pretty much a rocky cliff we saved ourselves from.  Now with 9 kids between us, those days are over.  LOL!  Oh to be young!  It was just a couple of minutes as they headed into lunch.  We had just had lunch and gone out to the slopes and Parker wasn't having it to stop again.  Made my heart so happy to them! 

Bummed I didn't get a pic with the whole group.  There was about 5 families that went and the kids had a great time.  Tyler didn't go.  He had two tests and was in charge of a dance at school for ASB. He also felt so sick the last time he went so his skiing days are probably over.  Maybe he would do ok in the elevation but probably not ok skiing and that is ok.  Glad he realized it doesn't make him feel good.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Swim Lessons

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery