Purple Belts

Blake and Kira received their purple belts today.  They earned them 2 months ago but we couldn't go to the ceremony.  It is amazing how much they have learned in less than a year.  Their confidence,  discipline and leadership.

Martial arts was an answer to prayer for Blakes anxiety. When life was too hard to do organized sports and he had too much anxiety for anything, we patiently got him into martial arts.  It was a struggle in the beginning.  I would never know what the day would be, how the drop off would go.  Some days he went in ok and other days I sat there with him, we watched, we waited and we were lucky if he made it to 10 minutes.  After a month, I decided to pay for an entire year.  Part of me thought it was crazy to commit to something for a year but the bigger part of me knew that on the hard days and hard months I would just give up and let him out of it and that would be the worst thing for him.  It was such a positive place.  It was full of encouragement with so little pressure that I knew this is where he needed to be to regain his confidence.  It was so hard to see as a mom.  With time, he went with more ease.  Now, a year later, he scooters with Kira and usually looks forward to going.  He always says he has a great time afterwards.

During his ceremony today, he was all smiles and all confidence.  He was having fun.  He felt proud.  There is no better feeling and I was so proud. It is amazing how much they learned to get out of holds and how to defend themselves.  I don't watch them anymore so it is such a difference after a couple of months to see how much they have learned.

 The best part of homeschooling has been the relationship that Kira and Blake have gained together.  The kids are starting to ask to do other sports and we are planning on moving so our time at Max is probably coming to an end.  I am not sure they will keep doing martial arts but forever grateful for our time in this great sport.  Forever grateful for helping then gain great skills and friendship.  This week, the owner came up to me and told me what leaders they have been and how they are always willing to help others learn.  That was one of the best compliments I could have received.

It has helped me be a better coach.  It has helped me realize all I really want for my kids activities is to see them gain great life skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Swim Lessons

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery