Karate





Danny and I have been feeling for a while that Kira should try other sports.  She likes gymnastics but I don't think loves it.  I worry that in a couple years she will wish she did other things and not just dedicate yourself to one sport that somehow gymnastic seems to do.  She liked hanging out with her teammates but I don't think that in her heart of hearts loved it to be there 12 hours a week.  4 hours a day was a lot to be away from home doing one thing.  Scott was doing track so we asked Kira is she wanted to do it and she agreed.  Day 1 she cried, was scared of the coaches and didn't want to do track.  I thought maybe I was wrong to make her try other sports and just settle with gym.  But she went to a meet, made some friends and loved it.   She had no problem going to practice after that.  Scott's feet still really hurt so he ended up not being able to do track but Kira kept choosing to do track over gym.  Same with swim.  When I told her we were going to take a break from gym she didn't want to but I told her that anytime she had a conflict she chose the other sport or activity.  So she agreed.  Not loving the idea of not doing gym, but equally loving the other sports she had time to do.

It is so hard sometimes to be able to follow wisdom that a child might not be able to see and help them see that.  I wonder if I am doing the right thing as a parent or not.  But then I feel peace and know it is the right decision not just for her but also our family.

She loves being active and being with friends so I asked her if she wanted to do karate with Blake which she agreed to.  I have been so impressed with his program and it is literally across the street from our house which I LOVE!! I thought just for the excercise it would be great.  Not to mention less fighting  television or computer or other time wasters.

I didn't know if she would like it but she loves it and it is really fun to see her and Blake together.  They ask to stay for 2 classes and then they go to swim together when Kira doesn't have track.  I never, ever thought my kids would do karate or martial arts and so glad Blake begged to try it.  I love that it a combination of excercise and agility, learning new skills that they have to think about and life mental skills. 

Blake did a jiu-jit-sui camp that he liked.  He is smiling so much more and happy most of the time. What a change from last year when he was so upset all the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons