Easter and the air show

Had an Easter egg hunt at Pop's house.  




Maddie and Lucy joined us.

Yesterday was the air show at the Travis air force base.  It was way better than expected since it was free, there was always a plane in the air, and it wasn't too crowded or hot.

There were four huge planes like this, including a C-5, that took off, one after the other, and flew some laps around the sky.  They had so much lift and there was a headwind that it seemed like they took off in 400 feet.  



The wind made it chilly but the cement was warm.  We just sat and watched the planes fly over.  There was a biplane that flew upside down in between some pylons and cut a ribbon in between them and that was cool.  Then the Piper Cub landed on a moving truck and that was cool.  The headwind was such that it was flying under 40 mph.

The kids seemed to have a good time too.  I brought ear protection for all of us even though it wasn't that loud.  When the F-16 "Viper" flew by and did the muscle climb, it was loud, but the kids said they liked it.  Man, jet engines.  The Viper was pretty sweet because it could fly alongside a P51-D Mustang, which couldn't have been more than 200 mph (wikipedia claims the P51-D has a top speed of 437 mph), and yet at full speed, it could do mach 2.  I don't know my aircraft as well as Dan-o, who could identify planes in the air.

Watching the planes was a lot like doing the RC planes.  Sadly, I haven't flown in over 10 years, but the models have the same characteristics as the big ones.

After the air show, Scott, Tyler and I went to the Ports game in Stockton.  We took the Lexus and I wasn't sure what to expect for attendance, but there was enough traffic to the parking lot that I just parked on the street.  I didn't think anyone would break into the Lexus because I have the factory head unit, but once we were there, someone said, "No, they'll just steal your rims."  And I was worried from that point on because the Lexus does have nice rims and I don't have those silly special lug nuts.

Scott and Tyler weren't into the game so much but I enjoyed it.  The minor leagues could pitch just as fast as the majors but there were several fielding errors that gave me a chuckle, not that I could do any better, but that those things hardly ever happen in the major leagues.  A wild pitch to first ended up in the dugout but the runner only was allowed one base on the overthrow.

I was happy to see that all was well with the Lexus and we made it home in good time.  I had made a deal with the boys that if we stayed the whole time then I wouldn't get them doughnuts but if we left after the 7th inning then we could get doughnuts.  Well, Scott's team gave him a drink and his friend gave him some pizza, so I felt it would only be fair to Tyler to get doughnuts even though we had to stay almost to the bitter end.  I dropped the kids off at home and then picked up a dozen doughnuts from safeway.  I never go there because they're so expensive, but I thought at 11:15 pm they'd be marked down, but no.  Turns out they just throw them out at five the next morning, but whatev.

So this morning we had doughnuts and the kids are in good spirits.  Okay, bye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons