Tis The Season

Christmas of 2008 was perhaps one of the most spiritual days that Danny and I have shared. Our son, Carl, was born at 1AM Christmas morning. While the world was anticipating waking up to presents under the tree, we were able to feel the greatest gift of all. The gift our Savior gave of peace and hope. While Carl's body was simply an empty vessel his spirit filled the room. We knew he was in a better place. He continues to teach us the miracle of Christmas.

It was a simple Christmas focused on the true meaning of why we celebrate.

I want Christmas to be more than just presents for my kids. I want them to feel and understand the joy and happiness of giving rather than receiving. That Christmas, Danny and I were able to give our son the gift of a body and we in return received so much more. He has and continues to be a cherished and important part of our family.

As this Christmas season approaches, I have had the blessing of attending some amazing events that have helped me focus on the true meaning of Christmas. Our Relief Society dinner was about the spirit of giving. Laura sang the 12 days of service and did an amazing job. She talked about while not all of her days were filled with the service that she hoped to give, the Lord made up for the rest.

On Tuesday I was able to attend a charity fundraiser for a precious little girl who I have never met yet have grown to love. Her mom is one amazing mom and raising money for a full-time researcher at UCSF. We love and admire her family so much! The event was filled with the true meaning of Christmas.

On Wednesday I was blessed to attend a benefit concert for UCSF children's hospital. I almost didn't go and am so grateful I did. I got to sit with some amazing friends. We laughed, had a great night and enjoyed great music and food.

Most importantly, we got to learn from incredible men and woman who are making the world a better place. Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce.com donated $125 million and working hard to get it matched. Colin Powell, one his mentors, and Marc gave amazing speeches followed by a great concert by Neil Young. All of the artists and speakers including Will I Am, Ray Charles, Bill Clinton and others donated their time and talents to a cause that I am so grateful for. Because of people like this, our children have the opportunity to receive amazing medical care. How blessed we are! How grateful I am for these Christ-like people.




Marc said that in the beginning of his career he was told that it doesn't matter how much money you have but what you do with that money. I think that this is one of the hardest things that our nation, including me, faces. Are we seeking the will of the Lord in all that we do and all that we have? I know I can seek opportunities to serve more fully in my life. As we do I know we will be blessed.

The percentage Marc has given hasn't changed with time, just the amount he is worth. Jon Huntsman, a philanthropist, has echoed the idea that he gave even when he was poor. The idea of "when I have more, I will give more" is something that seldom occurs. Charity is an action of the heart. These men decided that giving was a part of who they were and what they stood for. What examples of Christlike love and charity which is far more significant than worldly wealth.

Men and woman all over the world are making similar impacts, big and small. Some of the greatest examples of true charity in my life have been some of the poorest people I know.

Charity has been something I have been thinking a lot about lately. It is something that I really want to be better at. For as long as I can remember my mom and dad were generous with there time, energy and resources. They have opened their house for months and years at a time to help someone, volunteered for countless things and never hesitate to help. My sister follows right in their footsteps and they are all such HUGE examples in my life or charity and love!!

It has always been easier for me to give of my time and energy and harder to give of my things. I have this idea that I will need my things at a later time or for a greater purpose. Instead I should be thinking about how I can help others with the talents, time or possessions that the Lord has so fully blessed me with.

Over Thanksgiving I spent a lot of time with my sister-in-law Lisa and her husband who are such huge examples of this. She mentioned the idea of someone who has a "perceived poor mentality". Someone who is unable to give because of their perceived circumstance vs someone who might have little yet always be able to give.

Over the past couple of months I have been working on overcoming a little of this mentality. I still have a long way to go. Probably a lifetime but it is amazing how as you work on something and ask the Lord's help, you are blessed with opportunities to serve, grow and change. I have recognized that as I have sought opportunities to serve and give, I am happier, more blessed and able to serve him more fully. I can hear his voice and the recognize the needs of others. I am so grateful for the opportunities of this life to grow.

In the midst of trying to do better at this, I was released from young woman and called into compassionate service. I have had this calling in the past and love it. You get to help woman, old and young with varying needs. I love helping woman. I have recognized that as I make time to serve others, the Lord magnifies my time and blesses my family in some incredible ways. Truly miraculous.

Comments

Chelle said…
As usual Heidi, you have a beautiful perspective that touches my heart and makes me want to be better. I love the way you see the world. I too want to make sure Christmas for my kids is known for being the Savior's birth and not just a time to get presents.
Jenny said…
I'm sure you do a great job with compassionate service! Thanks for sharing this. I love leaving your blog with a desire to be better.

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons