Sunday, February 1, 2009

Book - Contribute Stories of Hope

 I started writing a book about "Children Of Hope". I am really excited about the idea and look forward to this endeavor. As inadequate as I am, I do feel the Lord's hand in my writing which gives me peace. This is a brief idea of the book:

People form hopes at different stages of life. Some dreams begin in adolescence, others when married and others during pregnancy or adoption. Although these dreams begin at different stages, it is certain we all want the best for our children, family members and friends. We want them to have a happy, healthy and successful life. At some point our hopes will collide with reality. Some dreams are lost during miscarriage, a health diagnosis, accident, bad decisions or misfortune.

My dreams collided with reality during my second and third pregnancies. I was blessed with a healthy child, than a child with a severe heart defect and recently a stillborn with neurological complications. Many of my initial hopes and dreams for Tyler and Carl, my second and third sons, were traded in for very different, yet marvelous hopes and dreams. At times I was given no hope for my children and told to terminate the pregnancies.

I want this book to show that all children of God are blessed with a special and unique mission and that there is never reason to give up hope. I know that countless stories can help strengthen, teach and uplift others. I would like to write chapters covering different stories and experiences of how someone impacted your family. If you or anyone you know would like to contribute to this book or have any ideas please let me know. I know that this book will only be possible with the help and insight of others. Feel free to pass this on via email or post it on your blog, web-page, etc.

The title, Children of Hope, comes from my third pregnancy. I would often hear in prayer and reflection that this baby was a baby of hope. For months, I interpreted this as having a healthy child. As testing indicated major neurological problems, I began to understand the true meaning of this as seen through spiritual eyes. Carl, my baby of hope, was born stillborn on Christmas morning, further testifying of what it means to have a child of hope. His short life gives me and many others hope of the atonement and eternal families only possible through Christ. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest hopes and blessings that a mother can receive in this life from her child.

If you have any ideas, suggestions or would like to share a story please email childofhope1@gmail.com

Thank you to everyone who has showed interest in this book.  There are so many stories of faith and hope to share!  A couple people have questioned if their story is appropriate, if it should be written from a mother's standpoint or is just about illness.  The quick answer is no.  We all have very unique stories of faith and hope. I am looking for all different and inspiring experiences.  I know that there are countless people out there with a similar experience that you have gone through. If it has strengthened you, it is sure to strengthen others.  Many are in dire need of hope, growth and faith amidst the daily reminders of a struggle. It is my hope that a compilation of different stories will be able to uplift and help as many people as possible.  Some people have written poems, others have a specific event or day that has given them hope. Try to be as honest as possible in the writing.  It was always good for me to hear the reality of the heartache, journey of growth and ultimate hope found through the experience.  It is my prayer that the Lord will inspire others to share there stories.   Feel free to follow this outline or choose a style to best share your story:  

1. The family unit - hopes, dreams, etc. prior to the diagnosis
2. Diagnosis or Event - where, when, how, age, prognosis
3. Initial Feelings & Emotions for all involved
4. Treatment Plan  or Effects (behavioral, emotional, physical), duration, etc.
5. Journey of Hope - growth, changes, realizations, peace, faith, post feelings and emotions, a specific event or day
6. Current Day - achievements, family unit, etc.


3 comments:

ChrisnDave said...

Sounds like a great idea!!! I know Heavenly Father will guide you in your writing and you will be able to bless and help so many people through it!

John and SJ said...

Heidi you are truly awesome! I just look up to you so much! We are in the Northgate 1st Ward and every seems to know you. Cindy Billsborough is the Relief Society president....I think you are good friends with her, right? Anyway, it was so good to hear from you and we miss you guys!!!!

April said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and for your kind words! I'm sure our little "Winking" boys are kindred spirits! I'm sorry that you are missing him...my heart aches for you. Let me know if you need any help with your book
April