Thanksgiving

Tis the season of Thanksgiving!!
I am at a point in my life that I feel extrememly blessed. More so than I have ever felt or experienced. I don't think it has as much to do with our circumstances, what we have or don't have, but has to do with perspective. Somehow through life experiences, both easy and hard, my perspective has changed, my sense of self worth increased and eyes have been open to what truly brings happiness and thanksgiving. This is a gift greater than all. It is a gift that ensures happiness in whatever season or experience we are going through.

Danny would always laugh at me when I would express how life will somehow be easier or better when he graduates, we have stable jobs, the kids make it through a hard stage, etc, etc. I admired that Danny always found enjoyment in the present. He reminded me that life will not be any easier or better just different when these things come to pass. It is so true. I think the Lord has ensured I learn this lesson, for when I change my outlook to find complete joy and happiness with my current situation He blesses me with the next stage of life.

One of our church leaders, Elder Wirthlin, said in a General Church Conference,

“If only I had money,” some might say to themselves, “then I could be happy. If only I were better-looking. If only I were smarter. If only I had a new car, a college degree, a job, a wife, hair that wasn’t so frizzy.” (Or, in my case, if only I had more hair or I were 12 inches taller.)

"If we only look around us, there are a thousand reasons for us not to be happy, and it is simplicity itself to blame our unhappiness on the things we lack in life. It doesn’t take any talent at all to find them. The problem is, the more we focus on the things we don’t have, the more unhappy and more resentful we become."

"Over the course of my years, I have met thousands of people. I have dined with the prosperous as well as the poverty-stricken. I have conversed with the mighty and with the meek. I have walked with the famous and the feeble. I have run with outstanding athletes and those who are not athletically inclined. One thing I can tell you with certainty is this: You cannot predict happiness by the amount of money, fame, or power a person has. External conditions do not necessarily make a person happy."

"The Brethren who have had assignments in poorer countries report that despite the abject poverty, the people are very happy. The fact is that the external things so valued by the world are often the cause of a great deal of misery in the world. Those who live in thanksgiving daily, however, are usually among the world’s happiest people. And they make others happy as well."

This Thanksgiving try each day to notice the many blessings you have. It is sure to bring greater happiness and peace into your life.

Comments

Jacquie said…
Heidi,
This was so special for you to express your feelings during this holiday season. As a family we have so many blessings to be thankful for and each day we must remind ourselves to start each day with a positive outlook. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Danny, Scott and Tyler. Love, Mom
Thank you for this nice post. I think I needed to hear this right now. It is so true - that our perspective on the "abundance" in our lives is all that matter. There are many things to be grateful for, and you are a good example of that!
shauna said…
I love this post! Thank you.
Heather said…
You are the most grateful person I know. You always inspire all of us to be thankful for all the little things in life. Thank you for the constant reminder of how sweet all the little things are.
NikkiAWardell said…
Happy belated birthday to Danny. What a great post and great lesson for me!!
Allison said…
Heidi,

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am definitely still in shock as to what kind of life we will have after our little HLHS guy is delivered, but I am grateful to you for reaching out and for showing me that there is a vast network of other families that can guide us through this journey. I am in shock a bit still, but I will likely try and give you a call soon. Thanks again.

Alli Hicken

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons