YOSEMITE

The kids had Friday off for teacher in service which I was totally unaware of.  I have been mildly sick all week with a fever and sore throat/ear aches/yuck but was started to feel a little better and really wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous weather.  So I texted some friends Thursday and of course the amazing Shawna accepted the adventure.  She is my adventure friend. We will talk about going skiing and decide to go the next day.

So I picked up Kira from the gym, headed to Winco for some snacks and woke up early to get on the road.  It said it was about 2.5 hours to Yosemite and it takes about another 45 minutes or so to get to the Valley.  Some people were stopped on the side of the road which I didn't think much of but when I got a closer look I saw they were taking pics and saw Shawna and realized they must have seen a bear.  They saw a bear and 2 cubs.  There was no parking by the time I got that point but so excited for the day.

It is gorgeous!!  I can't believe we live about 3 hours from Yosemite and have never been.  The leaves were changing colors and it was a picture perfect day.  We stopped at an area where there was a little pond and the kids loved throwing rocks and playing. It was a little chilly in the shade since it was morning so continued on to the visitors center and lower bridal falls.  We hiked to the falls which took about an hour because we meandered from log to log, taking pictures and climbing rocks.  Parker loved the logs.  We got there and it was just a little trickle since it is dry season so the kids climbed in the rock beds beneath.  They were really big and everyone except Parker and obviously Hanna went almost to the waterfall.  They would have made it but it was time for lunch so we called them back.  Parker went from rock tower to tower knocking them all over.  It was like a little boys paradise.  Shawna just kept reassuring us that this was like common core and they were using good judgement of what rocks were stable and not.  It wouldn't have been a good spot for anxious moms.  We were all grateful we came back with no injuries.  The kids saw deer on the way back so close and they were beautiful.

We went back to the car and ate some lunch.  I am getting smarter with packing.  I realize a giant tupperware of cut up fruit, sandwiches, some yogurt and veggies is the perfect lunch.  We ate and the kids ran around.  Parker liked to play on the giant bear locker garbage cans.

We then went to Mirror Lake.  It was a 1.5 mile hike up so we opted to drive which was accessible for handicap.  We always thank Tyler when we we get great handicap perks.  We got there and it was a giant sand pit with no water.  Kira and Abby spent the entire time making teepee's and a flag.  I ran around the sand with Parker and Hanna.  Then parker and shawna and the rest of the kids went to find caves.

Yosemite is gorgeous.  I can't describe how massive the granite rocks are and how beautiful they are.  Every direction is beautiful in different ways.  The trees and hikes have breathtaking spots almost every 100 feet.  We had such a great day.  It ended up being about 70 degrees, the park wasn't too crowded and we all had a great time.  The drive there and home is also really nice with lakes and hills.  I just kept thinking about how lucky we are that we live in this area that last week we could be at the beach and this week we were in an area with skiing and yosemite.

For the most part everyone got along really well.  At the end of the day on the way home all the kids explained how fun it was and how they want to go back.  They were all so grateful for me taking them which is usually not the case at the end of a long day.  They are usually tired and cranky and complaining about the ride home.  I was soo glad that I went and so excited to return with Danny who has never been!  A must see for everyone.  We saw people from all over the world.

FIRST VIEW OF THE DAY... We were all in awe!


Playing by the water...




Hike to Lower Bridal Falls...The kids loved to play on the fallen trees.  







At the falls...It was all dried up so the kids climbed down to play in the rocks.  I kept thinking how Rock City on Mount Diablo lost its fun after this.  I think they would have spent all day here if we let them.








Mirror Lake...Actually a dry lake for now.  It was fun to play in the sand and see these majestic mountains all around.  Most people go in the spring and summer when there is water in the falls and in the lake which I am excited to see but I actually really loved that it was dry because I didn't have to worry about my kids drowning.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons