Sunday, November 1, 2015

An experiment

I'm all for the kids doing their chores.  They read the job chart, they know when they're done, and they're learning how to work.  Well, that's all good in theory.  I was a great parent until I had kids.

So today I tried something new.

I asked the kids to do their chores.  They were dragging their feet, even though there was plenty of time before church due to daylight saving time ending.

I told Blake that I'd do his job for him and that he'd pay me two of his Halloween candies.  He went for it.  Tyler offered me five.  Kira offered me seven.

I vacuumed the whole upstairs, vacuumed the downstairs, cleaned the kitchen, and they each paid me.  Tyler tried to pay me with the dum dums and smarties, and I said, "No, no, I get to pick."  I went for some Snickers and Reeses.

I was hoping that they would see that it's better to keep their candy and do their jobs, but no.  Was it a fail?  As far as teaching them a lesson, yes.  But it was an honest way for me to get their candy!  Usually I just take some while they're not paying attention.  Maybe they'll see that it's better to just pay someone to do stuff they don't want.  That's what the guy recommends in the wealth management book I read last summer.






4 comments:

Chelle said...

ha! That is hilarious. Parents are always having to try new things to motivate kids, aren't they?! I laughed when you said you at least got their candy honestly, b/c Jared does the same thing--he sneaks stuff out of their bags all the time.

cici said...

I think you got the raw end of the deal Danny ol boy, but at least you saved them the pain of cavity or two :) I like your style.

Adam and Lisa said...

Ha ha that is awesome! Way to teach them the ways of the real world. Sometimes it is worth paying someone to do something you could do on your own, you just don't want to:)

Janine said...

Yes, we were good parents too until we had kids. Love your costume though! Laughed out loud!