Freedom and Politics

The past weeks and months have been a time for me to examine my ideals, beliefs, and what I personally stand for. What a great blessing to be a part of a democracy which fosters this personal growth and reflection instead of taking it away.

Everytime I went down our street and saw signs, both for and against propositions and candidates, I felt proud to be an American.

With that said, it was so sad to see how many interpret that freedom as a duty to bash, put down and name call a side with a differing viewpoint.

I am pro-life.  I have had very sacred and personal experiences in my life that have formed this belief.  Has everyone had those same experiences?  No.  Do I consider others wrong who are pro-choice?  No, however, it would be wrong for me with the experiences and knowledge I had while pregnant to stand for any other belief.

If our state legalizes marijuana, will I teach my kids to smoke marijuana?  Of course not, just like I don't  teach them to smoke cigarettes.  Just because the majority says something is legal doesn't mean it is right for my family.

Our Nation is Divided.  I don't know what the solution is or sadly if there is one.  As a result politicians spend a lot of time getting very little done.  While I believe all truly want the common good for our society, we are all seeing how it is harder to reach that when the morale fabrics of our society continue to become more and more divided.

So the question I have spent a lot of time reflecting upon is what to do about it.  The answer came simply and powerfully: Be the best person, mother, wife and community member I can be.  Teach my children right from wrong. Teach them that living a certain way leads to happiness and fulfillment.  Be just as strong an influence on my family as society will be.  What a sacred responsibility!

I will continue to stand for what I believe.  I will rely on faith, prayer, love and constant attention to my family to teach them to become good, morale members of society, loving husbands and wives, mothers and fathers. It makes me want to be a better person, better mom and wife.  It makes me want to be a greater influence for good on my family and children.

Does the nation dictate my happiness or belief?  Yes and no.  As laws and ideals shift, I will still have the freedom to choose how I will personally live and what I will personally stand for and yes because I am blessed with that freedom!  For that I am very grateful to be an American.  I am grateful for the election we just had.  I am grateful for our wonderful country that blesses me with that!




Comments

thebusbyfamily said…
Heidi, I love what you have to say! I should visit your blog more often :)

Kelton and I had a similar conversation. He also sent me a text that I really liked that said "Sometimes when I think that our society is falling apart before my eyes, I am reminded that none of this is a surprise to God and that he's provided a way for us to be safe and happy, regardless of what happens around us."

I'm grateful too for the freedoms we enjoy and grateful for our agency to choose.

xo, Melissa
allison said…
HEIDI MCMILLIAN FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!
Chelle said…
This was a fantastic post Heidi. You are able to express your opinions so well and so articulately. Thanks for your insights. I'll admit I've been feeling "doom and gloom" with Obama's re-election but I try to always think of Pres. Monson's counsel: "The future is as bright as your faith." Thank goodness for the gospel.
Jenny said…
I have had the same thoughts. I would leave a huge comment about it but I won't :). Thanks for sharing yours and keep up the good fight. Your family is so adorable. Love you and your posts!

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons