43

I turned 43 and it was the best day ever!  I started the day off with the best gift, being able to talk to Scott for the first time in Chile. He is loving his mission and I get to hear and see how his heart is filled with love for the Chileans and their way of life.  

  And then I was showered with so much LOVE at Woodlands!  I love my job, the kids I get to coach and am so grateful for all their parents and all they do to make our summer filled with fun.  Coaching summer rec is not for the faint of heart in our area but our swim family and kids make the crazy moments and anonymous letters worth it.  The kids made so many cards for me.  I can't wait to post them in the coaches office!  Each kids has their strengths and struggles and I hope at the end of the day I helped make life just a little easier and happier for them.

And then we ended our day at MYO with Danny and the other 5 kids who are my heart.  Hanna and Parker started an otter pop business and Hanna gave mea  card with $10 of her own money.  It was so sweet and thoughtful.  Parker asked to go to the store all day and he and Danny rode their bikes to Safeway and he got me chocolate.  Kira got me an airpod tag so I don't lose my kids and blake got me a phone charger since mine always disappears.  They were all so thoughtful and I feel so blessed.  

As I reflected on these past 43 years, the one thing that filled my heart all day as I got messages and texts was how grateful I am for the amazing people God has placed in my life.  Scott and I were talking about the struggles some of his siblings have faced in the last 15 years whether it is health or emotional and you I could see his empathy, compassion and increased love towards them and others he has because of that.  I see it in my own life as well.  

Hanna and Blake have a hard time regulating emotions but they are doing immensely better have worked really hard to learn skills to regulate emotions.  Neither of them want to be that way.  They are often embarrassed and feel bad after the fact.  They both really want friends and in their good moments they have some incredible qualities.  

Yesterday, Hanna was playing with a friend after school and the parents have always not been the nicest towards me or her but everyday she asks for a playdate.  So I decided to venture out and ask the dad if we could set up a playdate and he was so mean to us in front of Hanna.  It made Hanna, the other girl and myself so sad but she just responded with, "Its ok.  We can play at school," to the other girl and "mommy, don't let people make you sad," to me.  More than anything I just felt bad for him.  

That experience taught me two things.  First, I am grateful for my trials because they have made me a better person.  I am more full of empathy, compassion and understanding.  As I saw these two little girls playing so nicely and both so sad they couldn't do a playdate I realized what it meant to be like a little child.  This dad is so full of anger and hate.  You just sense it whenever he is around but here are these girls that are quick to forgive and be full of love.

And those are the type people who God has placed in my life that I am so grateful for! When I want to just give up or feel defeated, I have friends who lift me up, help my kids and are quick to love.  And as I venture into my mid 40's those are the things and gifts that matter the most!  I recognize I am grateful for the hard times, because they make me recognize the good. I am grateful for my trials, because they help refine me and make me a better person.  Here's to a great 43rd year!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons