1st Day of Middle School

Scott is in 8th and Tyler 7th.  I think it will be a great year for them.

Tyler has two great friends who live about a 5 minute bike ride away.  This week they went from our house, to the next house to the third house to swim.  They are great, happy kids.

Scott has a lot of friends but doesn't have a group like Tyler but is happy.  He is confident in who he is.  I asked him if he still hung out with one of his friends I haven't seen in a while and he said something to the extent of no because he is trying to be popular. I am so grateful that Scott understands the pressure kids his age feel to be popular and isn't bothered by that or falls into it. We have tried so hard to tell him to be kind to everyone.  I think he strives to do that.  Strives to hang out with all different groups.  Such a powerful tool.

Scott and Tyler are both in Jazz band.  Amazing perk to get kids to practice over the summer.  They have really wanted a nintendo switch so I told them that if they learned all 8 jazz songs in the summer they could get one.  They did it.  It was a lot of work but amazing to see their progress.  We went and picked up a used switch, games and accessories from someone about 10 minutes away.  Mr. Fallon, their band teacher, is a new teacher who loves music and is great for middle school. He connects with the kids and gives them a passion for music.

Tyler is such a talented singer and I wish that choir was as popular as it is in Utah.  It has been such a blessing in Danny's life.  Scott got put into creative dramatics which is half choir and half acting as the pianist.   So far he doesn't love it because he doesn't have anyone he knows in it, but I hope with time it will be a positive class for him.

Tyler's best friend does drama camp in the summer and they did an amazing play.  I have been telling Tyler to do drama for a long time but he has been unwilling.  This year he is willing to do the club with his friend.  Again, he doesn't totally want to do it because a lot of his friends aren't in it but I am trying to teach them that it doesn't matter what others do, but it could be a great thing to magnify talents they have.

Tyler is in ASB which I think will be a great experience for him.  He gets along so well with other kids and has an inner confidence that I love.  He has some incredible leadership skills.  Scott can't do it this year because he has to take 8th grade health so only gets a semester class which is going to be playing the piano for creative dramatics.

Tyler is doing the wheel of woodshop, art, creative dramatics and I have been trying to get my boys, especially Tyler to do creative dramatics but I get the notion they don't do it because they don't think it is cool for boys to do or have any friends doing it.  At least he will be exposed to it.  And Tyler is hopefully going to do an after school club of drama with his good friend.  Tyler isn't stoked but I told him to just try it and I think he is open to it. Hoping he does it.  I think if his friend does it, he will be more open to it.

I asked Scott how school was and he says, "It was good.  I mean it is school.  My brain was fried by period 3."  Love the pre-teen attitude.  Translate that to non teenager/8th grade language and that was a great day.  LOL! 

Tyler is a little less influenced and had a good day. He told me about his teachers and they all seemed great reviews.  His only complaint was Scott isn't letting him play any of the piano songs he wants in Jazz so I talked to Scott about how maybe they should each be able to choose 1 song they want to play and as first piano he can choose 1st. He went onto tell me how last year he didn't get to choose anything so I told him that a good leader figures out compromise and listens to others needs.  Hoping he thinks about the council.  With pre-teens it is a lot of conversations left with think about it, pray about it while I pray like crazy because anything I suggest is in one ear and out the other just because it is from me.  (update....mr. fallon on day 2 asked Tyler if he wanted to play a song that Scott had claimed.  So the prayers might not have worked on Scott softening his heart, but it did work for the boys to see that when we pray things get resolved).  Maybe in the future Scott will learn to do it on his own without divine intervention..LOL!

Scott wants to do volleyball and cross country so hoping his year is injury free.  Last year he couldn't do cross country because of a broken arm and then right after that he had an injured foot for the rest of the year.  It was weird for him not to do any sports from October til summer.  He said he wants to do them both so hoping it works out.

So overall success of middle school.

Here is a pic of the first day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons