Saturday, November 17, 2007

Danny's Trip to Utah


Danny left for Utah on Friday to go to Dan's wedding who is one of his friends from middle school on. Of course nothing runs as smooth as possible lately. Maybe it's so we can entertain you on our blog or so that I can continue celebrating "Super Daddy Danny Week," for Danny's birthday. On our way out the door for the airport Danny remembered his temple recommend expired this month and he was still lacking an interview which he needed to go to the wedding ceremony. I dropped him off at BART with Scott, his luggage, camera bag and backpack for his trip to the Oakland Airport. It was 2PM and his flight was at 4:40. The stake president called Danny and told him that he could meet him at his office in San Francisco to receive his recommend. Danny went to San Francisco, found the firm, got his recommend renewed, hopped in a taxi (remember he has Scott) and makes it to the airport with minutes to spare. He checks his baggage outside, cuts in front of everyone, runs to the plane and made it to Utah. I was certain he would not make the flight, but once again my husband has been full of wonderful surprises this week. So Danny and Scott are in Utah and Tyler and I are in California. Tyler can't be in altitude because of his heart. I will keep you posted on the rest of his trip. Hopefully it isn't as eventful as the beginning. I am sure several people think it is a lot of work for Danny to go through all this to get his recommend renewed. We believe that the temple is a very sacred and holy place and that all those who enter should be worthy and understand and respect its purpose and holiness. A lot of people asked me questions when Danny and I got married about the temple, our marriage and who could enter. Hopefully this explains a little for inquiring minds.
Temples are literally houses of the Lord. They are holy places of worship where individuals make sacred covenants with God. Because making covenants with God is such a solemn responsibility, individuals cannot enter the temple to receive their endowments or be sealed in marriage for eternity until they have fully prepared themselves. Throughout history, the Lord has commanded His people to build temples. The Church is working to build temples all over the world to make temple blessings more available for a greater number of Heavenly Father's children. Temples are places of learning. Their principal purpose is to provide ordinances necessary for the children of God to enable them to return to dwell with Him. Temple ordinances lead to the greatest blessings available through the Atonement of Jesus.
  1. One ordinance received in the temple is called the endowment. The word endowment means "gift," and the temple endowment truly is a gift from God. The ordinance consists of a series of instructions and includes covenants to live righteously and follow the requirements of the gospel. The endowment focuses on the Savior, His role in Heavenly Father's plan, and the personal commitment of each member to follow Him.
  2. Another temple ordinance is celestial marriage. In this ordinance husband and wife are sealed to one another for eternity. A sealing performed in the temple continues forever if the husband and wife are faithful to the covenants they make.
  3. Children born to parents who have been sealed in the temple are born in the covenant. These children automatically become part of an eternal family. Children who are not born in the covenant can also become part of an eternal family once their natural or adoptive parents have been sealed to one another. The ordinance of sealing children to parents is performed in the temple.
  4. People who have died without these essential gospel ordinances may receive those ordinances through the work done in temples. Acting in behalf of ancestors and others who have died, Church members are baptized and confirmed, receive the endowment, and participate in the sealings of husband to wife and children to parents.

I love going to the temple. It is a place of peace, away from the world, where you can hear the still small voice of Heavenly Father.

My question for my readers are what are some of your favorite places to be?
  1. I love the beach or pool on a sunny day.
  2. I love my cozy bed (especially when I am able to sleep).
  3. I love going to dinner with my family for special occasions.

3 comments:

Kerry Hoaglund said...

Isn't traveling fun?! I've had a few close calls myself! To answer your question, my favorite places to be are:
1. In Utah with my family and friends
2. In a bubble bath
3. On Vacation somewhere sunny and warm!

D-dawg said...

Great overview of the temple. My favorite places to be are:

Anywhere outside with the sun on me!
Laying in bed, cuddling with my kids and Dave
AND anywhere with loved ones having a fun time.

I hope Danny has a great trip! He is brave to run around like that with Scott.. I'm glad he made his flight!

Julia M. said...

Sounds like a crazy trip! The temple recommends are very important, but it always seems like they expire right when you least expect it! Or you forget it! I hope they have fun in Utah. We'll miss you guys at Thanksgiving!
My favorite places to be are: With Ben on an adventure, the temple, and with my extended family eating good food.