Memories of Christmas

Top 5 things about Christmas...

Visiting Carl's Grave. We read the Christmas story in Luke 2 on our way. When we got there we got to explain to the kids that the entire reason we celebrate Christmas was because Jesus was born and he made it possible for Carl to return to live with him and for us all to return to live with him someday. The spirit was so strong. The graves were filled with flowers. It was a rainy day and I loved to see people visiting loved ones. It made me so grateful for my knowledge of Christ and his gospel. It was a great reminder to me and the kids to what Christmas is all about.

Scott's prayer. He said three things...."I am grateful for Jesus. I am grateful that today was Jesus, Carl and Pops Birthday. I am grateful for my guinea pig." So sweet, so genuine.

Santa Letter. We read Scott and Tyler a letter in the morning from Santa (the irony of it all) about the true meaning of Christmas, all the great things they did that year and a couple of things that they can work on. The major thing they needed to work on was being a little more reverent in church, sitting on the pew, etc. and opened a bag dedicated to church. They got bible coloring books with crayons, a water bottle, books, threading tools, etc. It was cute and I think Scott actually believed that Santa wrote the letter. The best part was today in church they knew they couldn't open their bag until after Sacrament, sat very patiently and quietly throughout the meeting. Reverent enough for my dear husband to take a 30 minute nap or so. I guess I need to get him a bag of toys to keep his attention. It worked today and I am stoked. Wish me luck for the future. The bag was inspired by Mardee's FHE on Church Reverence.

Celebrating my Dad. He is the best, most patient and available dad and grandpa. We are so lucky to have him in our lives!!

Playing with the kids during dinner. While Everyone was eating I had the five kids to myself and LOVED it!! Paisley and Kira played, Roman kept saying HI through the glass (which I think referred to Heidi) and I just enjoyed their cuteness and sweetness. I had the kids all to myself, focused just on them and loved it!!

As I reflect on Christmas I recognize how grateful I am for my knowledge of Christ. I have been blessed with experiences throughout my life that have allowed me to get to know my Savior in a very intimate and real way. He lifts my burdens and helps me strive to be a little bit better each day. He is always there for me and my family and gives me hope of eternal life.

I am grateful that we have an amazing family full of love and support. We got to spend it with them and talk to Danny's family throughout the day that we are a little farther from. We got to talk to and email friends that are significant in our lives and think of meaningful relationships we are grateful for.

Every year I want Christmas to be more focused on him and less focused on the world. Danny and I look forward to starting our own Christmas traditions, some of which we did this year and others which we hope to do in the future. I recognize that my kids willn't remember 99% of the toys that they receive, however, will remember the acts of service given, peoples lives blessed and acts of giving instead of receiving. We have such a long way to go.


Comments

Chelle said…
What a neat Christmas! That is how I want ours to be too--full of the Spirit. I kept trying to stress that the reason for Christmas is Christ's birth, but there were still more things I wanted to do but didn't. You guys are so inspiring to me! Thanks for your great example.
Lindsey Anne said…
That was such a happy post. I hope I can see as much good in everything as you can. Scott's prayer - so cute, and just like Danny's :)

Popular posts from this blog

Update

Periacetabular Osteotomy "Hip" Surgery

Swim Lessons