Sunday, November 9, 2014

A day in San Francisco

I had a day off on Saturday so we decided to celebrate and go to San Francisco.  We loaded up five bikes and insta-tandem in the van, plus four radio controlled cars.  Minivans--ultra practical, luxurious and spacious.  



The weather was beautiful, not just for the season, but San Francisco is notorious for its thick fog.  We enjoyed 72 degree weather all day.

This was before we crossed the bridge and Kira was in good spirits.  She quickly burned out and had a melt down.  Admittedly, the northbound side was pretty uphill and there were some intense, overbearing bikers in their expensive spandex.   Scott got some comments on White Lightning and Kira got some approving smiles on Little Bike.  I found a bike on craigslist just like Little Bike for $200.  It was in super shape, as though it had never been ridden.  Ours is pretty beaten up but does the job.  Hey, Little Bike's been teaching kids to ride for over 30 years.



We finished the afternoon at Crissy Field.  People come from all over the world and San Francisco is a day trip for us.  I have fond memories of working at UOP.  I pretty much know every way to get in and out of the city.  Heidi suggested we cross the GG bridge and go home via San Rafael, and I said, "No, I tried it once.  If it's possible, I've tried it.  Once, the bay bridge was closed and I went through San Rafael.  It took about 1.5 hours longer."  

We went down 19th avenue and winded through Golden Gate park to get back on the freeway and the traffic was pretty thick.  I take for granted being able to split the lanes on my motorcycle.

We wanted to go to Ghirardelli but it was getting late and we were all kinda burned out, so we compromised and went through the Brentwood McDonald's drive in.  Scott wanted an oreo shake (not their trade name, but that's essentially what it is), so I decided to splurge and get one for myself too.  Heidi was craving a Diet Coke, so we got that and a couple of Sundaes.  When they gave me the shakes, I looked down and said, "These aren't that full.  In fact, I think they're less than half full.  Can you fill them up?"  

Heidi was embarrassed.  Maybe I shoulda said, "These are half empty," but I'm more of a glass half full kind of guy.   But seriously, it's like when you buy a large shake, try to split it up for the kids in those little medicine cups, and each person gets two bites.  

Anyway, it was a great time in a beautiful section of the country.  Okay, bye.